MD5CryptoServiceProvider
What hash type is created by the MD5CryptoServiceProvider in .net?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MD5CryptoServiceProvider
Yea, but when I try to use hashcat on a known password that was created with a call to the standard ComputeHash method of the MD5CryptoServiceProvider, which should just be an MD5 hash, it can't recover it. When I compare my string with one that I created on a website that creates MD5 hashs I get a different string. I'm new to this whole encryption thing but I'm trying to catch up.
(01-26-2014, 01:30 AM)billba Wrote: Yea, but when I try to use hashcat on a known password that was created with a call to the standard ComputeHash method of the MD5CryptoServiceProvider, which should just be an MD5 hash, it can't recover it. When I compare my string with one that I created on a website that creates MD5 hashs I get a different string. I'm new to this whole encryption thing but I'm trying to catch up.

Perhaps the string was in UTF-16 encoding when hashed. Just guessing.
(01-27-2014, 03:39 AM)magnum Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 01:30 AM)billba Wrote: Yea, but when I try to use hashcat on a known password that was created with a call to the standard ComputeHash method of the MD5CryptoServiceProvider, which should just be an MD5 hash, it can't recover it. When I compare my string with one that I created on a website that creates MD5 hashs I get a different string. I'm new to this whole encryption thing but I'm trying to catch up.

Perhaps the string was in UTF-16 encoding when hashed. Just guessing.

That was the issue. Thanks!