Mantle drivers
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2092189/a...eld-4.html

With the Mantle drivers coming out soon, will this provide any boost to hashcat? Or is it something that Atom and the team have to add in?

Or is that I do not know what the heck I am talking about? lol
Would be nice if it made for improved performance, but would also be nice if they just didnt have driver issues. With the lower level access to gpu (which i believe is just for graphics, openGL) and add in the HSA and hUMA tech for the APU's, and the release saga for GCN 2.0 which is to be quarter one or two or maybe 2015 rollout with 20nm chips. AMD might just start being a competitor for intel again,
Hmm this is interesting, what are u thinking of this, hashcat team? It is possible to see some perfomance boost?
Some info from the AMD forums

http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1302560

Quote:That 9x draw call gain means that the card can run more different shaders, and switch between more textures in every frame it draws. As the computing power is getting higher, it became difficult to feed the gpu with enough work using current directx systems. It needs frequent interaction between cpu and gpu. Whit this new low level api this interaction will be 9x faster, which leads to higher gpu utilization.
On opencl it also introduces a significant overhead when you try to enqueue kernels very frequently: lets say if you have 3 ms long kernel, then the actual gpu work can take only 1 ms time, the rest is host-gpu interaction. But on opencl we can organize long kernels around 1 sec execution times, those can utilize the gpu effectively.
(02-02-2014, 04:31 PM)giveen Wrote:
Quote:That 9x draw call gain means that the card can run more different shaders, and switch between more textures in every frame it draws. As the computing power is getting higher, it became difficult to feed the gpu with enough work using current directx systems. It needs frequent interaction between cpu and gpu. Whit this new low level api this interaction will be 9x faster, which leads to higher gpu utilization.
On opencl it also introduces a significant overhead when you try to enqueue kernels very frequently: lets say if you have 3 ms long kernel, then the actual gpu work can take only 1 ms time, the rest is host-gpu interaction. But on opencl we can organize long kernels around 1 sec execution times, those can utilize the gpu effectively.

Luckily we're able to feed the GPU with enough work at all the time (thus the 99% GPU utilization in status screen), but only if the user designing an efficient attack.

We also do not depend on kernel enqueue times, since we only execute one let's say each 2 seconds.

From the above quotes it doesn't look good for us, but also not to bad. We do not expect any loss of performance. Maybe there will be a gain for fast hashes without modifiers but thats all what we can say for now.
I appreciate the response, Atom Smile
So maybe no performance gain in this aspect. I wonder how it will impact my litecoin mining. Probably the same as here, no significant improvement.

Here is a leaked copy of the driver
http://www.overclock.net/t/1462853/techp...api-leaked