Mac OSX 10.8 and 10.9 Questions
Hello, I'm new here and have a few questions.

I looked through the wiki and found out how to use hashcat 0.47 and oclHashcat 1.01 very nicely and they are amazing programs.

However, Hashcat appears to be VERY slow at cracking PBKDF2 Salted SHA512 passwords (-m 7100). This is in not only hashcat 0.47 but also oclHashcat. When I try for a (-m 1722) password, it goes much faster, much more than a million per second guesses. But, when I do (-m 7100) password hashes, I get around 5 guesses per second.

All tests done on the same computer (GTX 660, i7 processor, Windows 7). All tests done on the same version of hashcat (varying between ocl and normal for both of them).
Same passwords, just different types of hashes.
Doing a brute force attack and dictionary attack, doesn't matter, still same rates.

Thank you for your help! I'm not sure if PBKDF2 makes it longer time requirement to crack or not?

Thanks for any information or hints about what I am doing wrong!
I'm not an expert by any means but there is something that is different in the hashing algorithm that changes the speed. So the speed change makes sense. If it is salted also the speed should be decreased.
Ok, thank you for the quick reply. Then I have a question, would more GPU increase or not increase the speed of the crack (or CPU)? Thanks again.
More would increase the speed. Nvidia is not good for cracking period. Your better off using an AMD card if you have one.
Ok thanks a ton. Any more information from anyone is useful!
mode 1722 is OSX 10.7, which is salted, but non-iterated, sha512. mode 7100 is OSX 10.8+, which uses pbkdf2-hmac-sha512 with a variable number of iterations. therefore it is only logical that mode 7100 will be at least $iterations times slower than 1722.