strange behaviour when using dictionary
Hi folks,
I am trying to use the cuda version of hashcat to hack a WPA/WPA2 cap file (from my own router). So I create a basic dictionary with 100 words amongst which is the password of the router. Then I try something like:
(the cap has been converted to hccap)

cudaHashcat64.exe -m 2500 output.hccap mydictionary.txt

goes through the dictionary and does not find anything.

Then I try

cudaHashcat64.exe -a3 -m 2500 output.hccap mydictionary.txt

and it works!!
But it is much slower and does not utilise all my GPUs. The first version is much faster and utilises all the GPUs.

BTW, aircrack-ng can perform the dictionary crack correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I'm having a similar problem I think. If I use a 10mb+ wordlist, it doesn't find my password, but if I only have about 5 words in the wordlist it works. Aircrack-ng finds the password both ways. I'm still trying to find an answer to this... It worked for me before the update... Can it be something with the wordlist maybe?
please upload the .hccap and the .cap somewhere and give us the plaintext so we can try to reproduce
Hi,
I appreciate the willingness to help but I am rather reluctant to upload info about my private network online.
(02-16-2014, 10:51 AM)atom Wrote: please upload the .hccap and the .cap somewhere and give us the plaintext so we can try to reproduce

Here's mine. The password is "snapchat" (all lowercase, no quotes) and it's included in the wordlist attached. The entire wordlist takes me less than a minute to complete so it shouldn't waste too much time.

Download here: http://ge.tt/7knj6GK1/v/0 (11mb)

EDIT: I think I may have found my problem. wpaclean is corrupting the file. The original cap file finds the password, but the other two do not.
(02-17-2014, 01:40 AM)victories Wrote:
(02-16-2014, 10:51 AM)atom Wrote: please upload the .hccap and the .cap somewhere and give us the plaintext so we can try to reproduce

Here's mine. The password is "snapchat" (all lowercase, no quotes) and it's included in the wordlist attached. The entire wordlist takes me less than a minute to complete so it shouldn't waste too much time.

Download here: http://ge.tt/7knj6GK1/v/0 (11mb)

EDIT: I think I may have found my problem. wpaclean is corrupting the file. The original cap file finds the password, but the other two do not.

EDIT: Yes! It works now! Caution, don't use wpaclean, it corrupted the file for me.
Nope. Still doesnt work for me.
I converted the cap file using aircrack-ng -J without using wpaclean and it still doesnt work.
does your plaintext password contain any non-ascii letters, like german umlauts or any language specific letters?
no just alpha and numbers both caps and lowercase.
maybe its rejected? to short? less than 8 chars?