Expected result of using these two flags at once
Hi, I am trying to use the -s and -l flag for distribution, while using the -a 3 (bruteforce) --increment-min 1 (to start at length 1) and a mask of ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a (length 10).

Code:
oclhashcat64.exe -m 0 -a 3 -o cracked.txt -i --increment-min=1 -s 0 -l 400 hash.txt ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a

I thought that this would compute the total number of hashes in that range (1 - 10) and attempt to crack using the first 400 generated guesses and then stop.

Although it seems that this is not the case and it may be trying to do the first 0-400 on every increment level.

What is the expected result of running these flags together? I was hoping for the first so that I can use this in a distributed setup.

Thanks for the help.
(05-06-2014, 08:09 PM)abduct Wrote: I thought that this would compute the total number of hashes in that range (1 - 10) and attempt to crack using the first 400 generated guesses and then stop.

First, dont use -s and -l with increment mode.
Second, the -s and -l are not normal password units. They are what I call KU (keyspace units). Run that command with --keyspace to know the total number of keyspace.
(05-06-2014, 08:21 PM)curlyboi Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 08:09 PM)abduct Wrote: I thought that this would compute the total number of hashes in that range (1 - 10) and attempt to crack using the first 400 generated guesses and then stop.

First, dont use -s and -l with increment mode.
Second, the -s and -l are not normal password units. They are what I call KU (keyspace units). Run that command with --keyspace to know the total number of keyspace.

Alright I removed the increment from it, how does the result of --keyspace play into this. The number does not change as I change the -s or -l options so I assume this is total size for the mask.

Does this mean -s would be the starting location on that size and -l would tell it how many units to process before stopping?

What are these units? Are they hashes or something else like total number of combinations for a given length and keyspace.

Thanks for the reply.
This is deep hashcat stuff, don't ask. Also using --keyspace and -s or -l will not do anything to the output. It's assumed you run --keyspace first and then plan your distributed attacks based on it (using -s and -l).