Need advice on TrueCrypt password recovery
Hi,

I'm absolutely new to this business as I've never seen any need to crack passwords. Unfortenately, I forgot the new password of my TrueCrypt container after a password change, so here I am looking for some help / advice.

First about the basics: I have an AES-encrypted TrueCrypt volume at hand. I don't know which hashing algorithm I chose back then. Right now, all I know is the approximate length of my new, lost password (should be around 18 characters) and I can narrow down the possible special characters. A dictionary will not help as I combined fantasy words and I'm absolutely unsure about my new password. My computer has a i7-4770 CPU and an AMD HD5770 graphics card, which is why I downloaded oclHashcat 1.20. My Catalyst version is 14.04. To make things worse I experience stability problems which might be GPU / heat related. For example, running example0 will stop with a GPU temperature warning.

My plan is to setup oclHashcat and run a few examples to find out my options. At the moment I think I will have to settle for a Brute Force attack (ugly, ugly...), but I think I can reduce the characters. I will think harder about my possible password so I can optimize my attack and use permutation mode or hybrid mode.

Enough blabla, here are some specific questions:

1) Is it possible at all to define custom charsets? EDIT: found out by myself
2) Is it reasonable at all to try to recover this password or will my computer have to run for the next 3 million years? ;-)
3) Does oclHashcat support resuming after a possible machine crash?
4) How do I find out my TrueCrypt volume's hash? I will need this as input, of course.
5) Do I need to specify my volume's hash algorithm? How do I find out, if possible?
6) I will think harder about my possible password so I can optimize my attack and use permutation mode or hybrid mode.

Thank you for any help in advance.
(05-25-2014, 08:55 PM)TruecryptAddict Wrote: 1) Is it possible at all to define custom charsets?
Yes, that's what "-1" - "-4" flags are for.

(05-25-2014, 08:55 PM)TruecryptAddict Wrote: 2) Is it reasonable at all to try to recover this password or will my computer have to run for the next 3 million years? ;-)
Reasonable if you can reduce the keyspace to something attackable within current specs.

(05-25-2014, 08:55 PM)TruecryptAddict Wrote: 3) Does oclHashcat support resuming after a possible machine crash?
Yes, the "--restore" flag is what you need.
Atom/Philipp can clarify how frequently it is written to disk.

(05-25-2014, 08:55 PM)TruecryptAddict Wrote: 4) How do I find out my TrueCrypt volume's hash? I will need this as input, of course.
Say what?

(05-25-2014, 08:55 PM)TruecryptAddict Wrote: 5) Do I need to specify my volume's hash algorithm? How do I find out, if possible?
Of course.
There is no way to find the hashing algorithm out, except remembering it.

(05-25-2014, 08:55 PM)TruecryptAddict Wrote: 6) I will think harder about my possible password so I can optimize my attack and use permutation mode or hybrid mode.
Good and probably only choice you have.
Hi Rolf,

thank you for your answers. I will rephrase my question 4 from above. I guess my wording is too complicated. The examples delivered with oclHashcat have a .hash file each containing the passwords to be recovered. I will need to specify my volume's hash, is that correct? oclHashcat needs to know which hash it should crack.
Nope.
Just feed it your tc volume with any extension, it automatically grabs the required info from the corresponding offsets.
Okay, I just created a Truecrypt volume for test purposes so I have a chance to setup oclHashcat correctly. The password is fixed to nine letters. My command line looks like this:

oclHashcat64.exe -t 32 -a 3 -m 6211 -1 charsets/maik.hcchr test ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1

Does this look correct? Estimated time is > 10 years for this test. This is a letdown but I expected this. As a result brute force is definately not an option, but at least I have a setup which makes use of my own charset.
command line looks fine, but don't mess with -t unless you know what you are doing.