GPU Drivers not installed?
I recently got myself a new Sager laptop with an NVIDIA GTX 850M, and when I try to run oclhashcat it kicks back that error (running off of a live The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) DVD.)

Would I have to use a live persistent USB version of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) so that I can install the requisite drivers? It doesn't seem to work in my VM version of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) either, despite having the latest version of VMWare tools installed on it.

Maybe I should just try the Windows version of oclhashcat when it comes to that kind of thing?
It is possible to install the proprietary NVidia driver also using a live cd (the problem is that a reboot may be needed and as you may already guess, after reboot the live system starts from scratch)... so live cds may not be the perfect solution, also difficult for "only-testing" purposes

After you get the Nvidia driver installed you need to run cudaHashcat64.bin (or 32 bin if the The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) version is 32 bit only).
oclHashcat64.bin is for AMD GPUs

As far as I know, it is still not possible to get full VGA/GPU hardware access w/ Vmware, therefore cudaHashcat cannot access your GPU directly w/ vmware...
There may be some other virtual machine systems that allow the direct access, but it complicates the problem only more and more...

And yes, you can run cudaHashcat64.exe if you use windows
Yeah, I guessed that with the Live CD, which is why I wondered if the persistent USB would work. Thanks for all the info!

I did download cudahashcat, but when I run it a window pops up very briefly and then disappears. I'll try to find some install instructions, see if I did something wrong or missed a step.
for that problem you need to read the wiki
Especially this article: http://hashcat.net/wiki/ubernoobs
Haha, yeah, I figured it was something like that... I've been learning Linux, so I'm not a total noob when it comes to command line stuff. Was just trying to find out quickly if it properly supports my GPU without having to hunt down or make a hash list to try and crack. I'll run a /? on it Wink Thanks again