Another cuModuleLoad() 209 error thread...
Sad 
Sorry for the repeat, but here's the deal...
I was using the HashcatGUI developed by www.hashkiller.co.uk to try to crack a few hashes I've got kicking around that I don't have a corresponding plaintext for. When I tell HashcatGUI to crack the hash using cudaHashcat, it decides that it's too difficult or something, and i get a cuModuleLoad() 209 error.

I then discovered that I can get cudaHashcat to run a benchmark using the -b switch, which is much easier than going through HashcatGUI to see if any of my tweaks work. I've been running cudaHashcat via the command prompt, and will continue to do so until I can get this working.

I've done some digging, and found that out of date Forceware can cause the issue, so I updated to the latest version, only to get the same error. I've checked with NVidia using the forum link and by using GPU-Z, and the card supports CUDA... If it helps, the cudaHashcat archive was extracted with the latest version of WinRAR...

So... What gives? What am I doing wrong?

The Hardware:
HP xw9400 Workstation
Dual ATI Opteron 2354 64 bit Quad Core Processors
NVidia nForce Pro 3600 chipset (Board is branded HP)
8 GB DDR2 System Memory
NVidia Quadro FX 4600 GPU (From all appearances, the board is built by NVidia, although it does have a HP part number on it.)

The Software:
Windows 7 Professional x64, Service Pack 1
NVidia Forceware 340.84 (NVCUDA.DLL is listed as v8.17.13.4084, but the NVidia tool says it's version 6.5.18)
cudaHashcat v1.30
HashcatGUI v0.43

One other note... When I get the command prompt to run cudaHashcat64, the output says the following...

Device #1: Quadro FX 4600, 768MB, 1200MHz, 12MCU

WARNING: sm_10 based GPU detected. Support for CUDA was dropped by NVidia, we'll try to load them as sm_11

ERROR: cuModuleLoad() 209

As far as I know, the FX 4600 supports CUDA... Is there a piece to this puzzle that I'm missing? If so, what?
I guess your GPU is simply too old. It is based on the 8800GTS chip and nvidia has dropped CUDA support for this series.
yep, cuda dropped support for sm_10, tried loading the kernel as sm_11, and that failed. gpu is simply too old.
That's odd... I was wondering if that's what the message meant....

Guess I'm in the market for a new graphics card... Tongue

I did find it strange that on this thread here (http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-919.html) there's a link for CUDA Enabled cards, and my card is listed... Guess all CUDA cards are created equal, some are just more equal than others... I guess the next question is, when did NVidia discontinue support for the card, and why haven't they updated their page... Then again, if support for sm_10 cores have been dropped by NVidia, I would assume that would be everything with a "Compute Capability" of 1.0. I would then also assume that everything higher than 1.0 would be supported by the NVidia drivers. Am I correct, or at least heading in the right direction?
that thread you linked to is from almost 3 years ago.

sm_10 was dropped in cuda 6.0, and the rest of sm_1x are being dropped in 6.5. see http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3641.html
(10-13-2014, 07:41 PM)epixoip Wrote: that thread you linked to is from almost 3 years ago.

sm_10 was dropped in cuda 6.0, and the rest of sm_1x are being dropped in 6.5. see http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3641.html

Huh... Guess I should check dates... Thought I did. Thanks for the info.
BTW, someone should probably make a note in that thread since it is stickied (or at least appears) at the top of the Hardware forum...