Computer Keeps Freezing...
Hi,

I am trying to run oclHashcat on my computer with 2 GTX 660s. These gpus are not overclocked at all.

When I leave hashcat on for a while, I will eventually come back to a frozen computer. I cannot move the mouse, and the keyboard does not function. I thought that the gpus might be overheating, so I set the fan speed pretty high. The temps were 61 and 72, but the computer still froze at some point.

Two Questions:

1) Can I recover the progress I have made on a hash if the computer freezes?

2) Why is this happening? Can I run some diagnostic to see why?
Broken RAM can cause such an effect which you would not notice under normal office workload. Try a memory testing program. Is the RAM overclocked in any way?
EDIT: Or do you use different memory modules?
(03-11-2015, 08:15 PM)Flomac Wrote: Broken RAM can cause such an effect which you would not notice under normal office workload. Try a memory testing program. Is the RAM overclocked in any way?
EDIT: Or do you use different memory modules?

All the same modules I have tested with memtest. They are not overclocked.
I would dig the PSU/GPU stability way.
Either of them can't take the pressure.
(03-11-2015, 04:46 PM)RedyTedy Wrote: 1) Can I recover the progress I have made on a hash if the computer freezes?

2) Why is this happening? Can I run some diagnostic to see why?

1. usually yes, see http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=oclhashcat for
--session=STR Define specific session name
--restore Restore session from --session

2. For me this happens because the VRMs are crappy (cooled). Get GPU-z and check if your card has readings for those. with "-w 1" my card works stable, but the speed is less than half.
Turns out one of my gpus was actually defective... I kept on getting a ton of artifacts in Furmark. I removed the card and started hashcat again with --restore. Is it possible that hashcat may have missed the correct hash in the cracking process because of the defective card? I don't want to start over.
Quite possible, but not likely.