"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
I had to do a re-install of Windows today due to my SSD failing on me and my Truecrypt volume becoming corrupt.

I have two Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X's running in crossfire. Before the reinstall, everything was fine. I could run attacks for hours on end without any lag issues or overheating etc.

However, now, on this fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit, it hardly works. After anywhere between 10 seconds and a minute into an attack, my entire PC will just lock up. Sometimes it'll never recover and sometimes I'll get the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" info bubble - but if it gets this far then the oclHashcat process has already crashed.

I've tried installing the 14.9 drivers from different sources [1] [2], but the problem persists.

I have also tried swapping my GPU's around in their PCIe slots just in case the card running my displays was faulty, but the problem still persists.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.
http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=timeout_patch
I already tried that. Just tried again and I triple checked that I hadn't missed anything out and that the value was set (http://i.imgur.com/JzwA68U.png), but it's still happening.

Roughly a minute and a half into the attack, the PC totally froze and I had to do a hard reboot. It worked totally fine up until then though.

This was with these drivers.
gutfeeling tells me this is a driver installation problem.

check out this and especially make sure to do the driver fusion step https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fre...hould_i_do
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I followed the steps on two separate systems but the problem still occured. This leads me to believe it's a problem with the cards. I have also tried every "fix" for this type of problem on every forum that I could find.

I'm leaning towards just buying a couple of Titan X's. These 290x's have had constant problems ever since I first bought them.
(05-05-2015, 03:51 PM)TonyS Wrote: These 290x's have had constant problems ever since I first bought them.

This is why we strongly discourage people from buying OEM-design cards. They are inferior to reference design cards in every way. People tend to think the cooling solution is the only thing that is different (and indeed that is the easiest way to tell if a card is ref or OEM design), but in reality quality suffers in all aspects.

You definitely can't go wrong with the Titan X. It's a monster.
(05-05-2015, 11:31 PM)epixoip Wrote: -snip-

This is why we strongly discourage people from buying OEM-design cards. They are inferior to reference design cards in every way. People tend to think the cooling solution is the only thing that is different (and indeed that is the easiest way to tell if a card is ref or OEM design), but in reality quality suffers in all aspects.

You definitely can't go wrong with the Titan X. It's a monster.

I haven't had good experiences in the past with AMD cards anyway. I think I'll stick with Nvidia for now.

Both of my Titan X's arrived today. I've been running attacks all day and they have been stable with a +225MHz core overclock and a +300MHz memory overclock. The temps have been great too.

The one thing I have noticed is that my WPA speeds are significantly lower than what I was pulling with my two R9 290X's. Also PHPass hashes (WordPress in specific) seem to be slower when I'm only running one or two, but aside from that everything is great. I was matching the results from your benchmarks. Big Grin

edit: Duh, one of my cards wasn't turned on for some reason when I was doing the WP/WPA hash testing. No idea how I didn't notice. Getting ~1700 kH/s on a single hash with no acceleration. Big Grin