Finding base words - problem
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-1305.html

I seem to have problem when I run this command, it says:
sed: 1: "s/^[^a-z]*//g; s/[^a-z] ...": transform strings are not the same length

Does anyone know what this means? I am on OSX.

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated!
IIRC OSX has BSD sed, not GNU sed.
(05-18-2015, 10:24 PM)epixoip Wrote: IIRC OSX has BSD sed, not GNU sed.

Thanks for your response epixoip,

I have tried:
cat /Users/hkke/Desktop/wordlist/new.txt | tr A-Z a-z | sed -i 's/^[^a-z]*//g; s/[^a-z]*$//g; y/112345677890@\$\!\#/ilzeasbzvbgoasih/; s/[^a-z]//g; /^$/d'
sed: -i may not be used with stdin
brew install sed
There's no -i in the original command string. And the error message is correct, -i cannot be used when reading from stdin.
(05-18-2015, 10:37 PM)radix Wrote: brew install sed

Error: No available formula for sed
Searching formulae...
gnu-sed minised sedna ssed
Searching taps...
homebrew/science/consed Caskroom/cask/physicseditor
Caskroom/cask/licensed Caskroom/cask/subclassed-mnemosyne
Caskroom/cask/marsedit

(05-18-2015, 10:38 PM)epixoip Wrote: There's no -i in the original command string. And the error message is correct, -i cannot be used when reading from stdin.

I thought when u meant GNU sed you wanted me to try -i command, I have tryed original command, that is what it was giving me the original error:
sed: 1: "s/^[^a-z]*//g; s/[^a-z] ...": transform strings are not the same length
(05-18-2015, 10:41 PM)hkke420 Wrote:
(05-18-2015, 10:37 PM)radix Wrote: brew install sed

Error: No available formula for sed
Searching formulae...
gnu-sed minised sedna ssed

Ok, so clearly you'd want gnu-sed there. Not too difficult.

(05-18-2015, 10:41 PM)hkke420 Wrote: I thought when u meant GNU sed you wanted me to try -i command, I have tryed original command, that is what it was giving me the original error:

No, I mean that your sed program comes from BSD, not GNU, and thus has several differences. In other words, not all sed implementations are the same, and this is true for most all userspace tools between BSD, GNU, and SVR4. Generally the GNU versions are much more feature-rich and typically result in non-portable commands.

That said, you can try adding the -E switch to that statement on BSD sed, that may enable the command to run (though it may not necessarily operate the same.) Or proceed with installing GNU sed per the above.