Very large dict (naxxatoe) - hashing stops
Hello all,

Running oclHashcat 1.36 / AMD 14.9 / Ubuntu 14.04.

I got ahold of the naxxatoe wordlist (32gb uncompressed / ~ 4.5 billion lines). I tried this on a WPA2 - and it seemed to start okay. Took several minutes to even calculate the dict stats, but I would expect that.

It began cracking and ran for several minutes. At some point, all the speed counters dropped to 0 and the progress started moving very quick (I assume its basically a NOOP at that point).

Has anyone ran a dict this large ? Should I do something to split it into pieces ?

Thanks.

Disclaimer: I understand differing opinions on using very large dictionaries such as this - I'm more interested in the limits of oclHashcat and what can go wrong internally when using something this large.
what did the rejection rate do?
(06-21-2015, 06:46 PM)undeath Wrote: what did the rejection rate do?

You might be on to something. I just split this thing up into ~ 100 files - and I notice some of them have very short length words in groups of fixed length (i.e. < 8).

I will run this again and watch the rejection rate - i.e. to see if it's hitting a section of file with < 8 char (WPA) and therefore drops to 0 hash rate (with rejection climbing). Thanks for the idea.
Yeah I think you nailed it. It's running now on the split files - and when it hits one that's all < 8 char - it zips through it. Thanks for the mental spark on this - sorry for the noise.
Interesting (maybe) followup to this. FYI - this was running the 'naxxatoe' wordlist - which has a huge swath of < 8 char in the middle.

I noticed once my run hit a 'dry spell' (i.e. < 8 char for WPA) and therefore no hashing going on - the temp dropped. This was expected. However - afterward - once the run hit valid words in the dict and hashing resumed - the fans were never adjusted (or at least quick enough). My cards hit 90c and abort kicked in.

I'm guessing that the internal calculation for temp / fan isn't reacting fast enough to a pattern like this (extended period of no hashing followed by resume). I.e. in whatever way the average is getting calculated - theres too much low temp data dragging it down and reaction is too slow. I even tried setting the target temp on the command line - but once the 'dry spell' starts - it still didn't kick up the fans after.
(06-22-2015, 11:58 PM)vom Wrote: Interesting (maybe) followup to this. FYI - this was running the 'naxxatoe' wordlist - which has a huge swath of < 8 char in the middle.

I noticed once my run hit a 'dry spell' (i.e. < 8 char for WPA) and therefore no hashing going on - the temp dropped. This was expected. However - afterward - once the run hit valid words in the dict and hashing resumed - the fans were never adjusted (or at least quick enough). My cards hit 90c and abort kicked in.

I'm guessing that the internal calculation for temp / fan isn't reacting fast enough to a pattern like this (extended period of no hashing followed by resume). I.e. in whatever way the average is getting calculated - theres too much low temp data dragging it down and reaction is too slow. I even tried setting the target temp on the command line - but once the 'dry spell' starts - it still didn't kick up the fans after.
Split the dictionary by length and run only 8 characters and more. Before starting your run, manually set your fans to 100%.