Oclhashcat stdin
I'm making a python kind of wrapper using subprocess and popen. The usual way to pipe input and output would be like this: stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE. I want to be able to interact with oclHashcat while it runs, this means interacting with the pause/status/quit menu. 

The problem is that oclhashcat doesn't use stdin, for that part at least, so I'm not sure how to pipe it because I don't know what oclhashcat uses. I found a few solutions for taking over the tty but all of these were Linux specific. So I guess my question is, what does oclhashcat use since it doesn't use stdin? And is what I'm trying to do even possible?
your problem description is very unprecise.

Do you mean you are not able to pipe a dictionary or another's process output to oclHashcat ? That should indeed work without any problem.
... or do you mean that you can't control oclHashcat itself (status, quit, pause, resume, bypass etc). This needs a little trick...

but that also slightly depends on the operating system you are working with. Therefore, you should also have specified on which (operating) system it doesn't work.

And yes, oclHashcat for sure uses stdin (for case 1: piping output to oclHashcat and case2: control the process if stdin is not in use, both at the same time is of course not possible, i.e. for case 1 you need to "kill" the process because stdin is in use because of the pipe).
(10-22-2015, 12:00 PM)philsmd Wrote: your problem description is very unprecise.

Do you mean you are not able to pipe a dictionary or another's process output to oclHashcat ? That should indeed work without any problem.
... or do you mean that you can't control oclHashcat itself (status, quit, pause, resume, bypass etc). This needs a little trick...

but that also slightly depends on the operating system you are working with. Therefore, you should also have specified on which (operating) system it doesn't work.

And yes, oclHashcat for sure uses stdin (for case 1: piping output to oclHashcat and case2: control the process if stdin is not in use, both at the same time is of course not possible, i.e. for case 1 you need to "kill" the process because stdin is in use because of the pipe).

Sorry about that, I went back and edited the original to try and be more specific. This is on Windows and I mean control oclHashcat itself (status, quit, pause, resume, bypass etc), the one that requires a little trick. Because as far as I know, that is the time that oclHashcat does not use stdin.
As I already said, it uses stdin for that case too. So your assumptions and claims are totally wrong.

and to answer the question about the "little trick", see this as a hint for controlling the process with python: http://stackoverflow.com/a/21595810
(10-22-2015, 05:19 PM)philsmd Wrote: As I already said, it uses stdin for that case too. So your assumptions and claims are totally wrong.

and to answer the question about the "little trick", see this as a hint for controlling the process with python: http://stackoverflow.com/a/21595810

But doesn't it use something similar to a curses/conio library considering it reads the key strokes and not the stdin? To say that it uses stdin and then to show an example of how this can be done with a program that uses getch or a conio library is contradicting right? Or maybe I'm just retarded. Probably the latter haha.