The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux Error - this copy of hashcat is outdated
Hi guys

so I'm a little lost here. I've read a lot of old forum posts on this topic but found no solutions. I have installed the most up to date The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux a few days back. I tried to use the bundled hashcat which posted "ERROR: this copy of hashcat is outdated. Get a more recent version." in the terminal and does nothing more.
I tried to remove the bundled version via apt-get remove, then reinstalled it with apt-get install, but I'm still getting the same error. . .

any wisdom?
remove it again (apt-get remove) and then just download it from https://hashcat.net/hashcat/, extract it (7z x hashcat-2.00.7z) and run it (cd hashcat-2.00; ./hashcat-cli64.bin). Have fun
awesome, that worked a treat. I figured the folks at The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) would have had a direct install available considering they bundle it with the OS.

Can I check the syntax format for a simple input too - it seems to have changed slightly since the last time I used hashcat.

So I entered :   

./hashcat-cli64.bin -a 3 -m 900 ../hash.txt -1 ?l?u?d

but it comes up with the Usage: hashcat line

The hash file is just the actual hash value and I was wanting to include lower case, upper case chars and 0-9

Thanks for the help Smile
You're missing a mask. Read the output of --help, read the wiki, read the FAQ.
Ah, thanks. I read through all of it, I just didn't realise that a mask was necessary. I had a read about the change from the old brute force method - but I must have missed stuff.

It's working perfectly.

In any case thanks again - you guys are a very supportive community Smile