Hashcat keeps restarting after it finishes?
./hashcat-cli64.bin -m 2500 -a 8 out.hccap new_8u_link_eng.txt

When I start the above command, I come back hours or days later and its gone from say 35% finished to 0.01 % completed. I asume that it has run thorough the words and is either trying them again or running some new rules or something. Can someone explain this to me. Is this normal.  I dont understand what is happening after it appears to run though one pass of trying the password file.txt
Thanks.
The progress shown is for the current segment only.
Thank you for your response.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. I have searched for the concept of segment and cant find any appropriate answers that I can see. Are you saying basically that its still trying the list. I found the same thing was happening in prince mode as well.

IF I understand you properly, and it is just continuing the word list how do we know where it is at in its process. eg are we 1/4 or 1/2 way finished the complete job.

Also

I stopped hc which gave me a number to use when restarting. I used it and oddly now get a segment error.

===========================
./hashcat-cli64.bin -m 2500 -a 8 out.hccap new_8u_link_eng.txt -s 236529117
Initializing hashcat v2.00 with 2 threads and 256mb segment-size...

Added hashes from file out.hccap: 1 (1 salts)
Activating quick-digest mode for single-hash with salt

[s]tatus [p]ause [r]esume [b]ypass [q]uit => Segmentation fault

==========================

If i start the job from the beginning, in other words without the "-s 236529117" it works fine.
I have seen a number of posts on this but unclear how to proceed. Some say its a bug that was fixed long ago. Others suggest old or wrong libraries. This is running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) linux 2.0 so fairly new. I tried to reboot but to no avail.

Thank you.