Old(ish) BTC kit - repurpose?
Hi folks, like a few people I guess, I have some old BTC mining kit around which I'd like to repurpose to a dedicated cracking rig - personal use/research/CTF work etc. 

I have:
  • Core i5 CPU (1155)
  • 8 Gb RAM (2 x 4Gb)
  • Open case (this one)
  • and a R9 280x GPU
Currently dont have a mobo due to cannabalising the rig to make a family member a PC....but will be getting a suitable one very soon. 

I understand the GPU is a little elderly but should be OK for occasional use as above. I think I will need LTS version of linux rather than the latest version?

Any tips/tricks/ideas to make this as effective as possible? I'll be running this in a cool workshop and the open case/non permanent use should be OK for heat I think?

Cheers all

bowser
why u thinking on a linux system? why not a windows system..?

with an open case in an cooled room i think the heat wont be an issue, i am more worried about the noise.
(09-06-2016, 02:42 PM)kiara Wrote: why u thinking on a linux system? why not a windows system..?

with an open case in an cooled room i think the heat wont be an issue, i am more worried about the noise.

I guess it could be Windows, I have no problem with that. As for noise, I'm fortunate to have a room which is off my garage which isnt near the house, so it can be as noisy as it wants Smile
It's just one GPU, shouldn't be a big deal. We got rid of all our r9 290x because of all the problems they were causing (problems when you have 5 of them).

You should be good, just make sure to not use ubuntu >16 since they dropped support for the amd opencl if I am correct (could be outdated tho)
sch0.org
Oh yea, check this http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles...Notes.aspx

(08-29-2016, 09:51 AM)atom Wrote: Note that 290x is no longer supported with latest AMD linux drivers. You need to manually install old drivers to use hashcat.
sch0.org