Can't recover certain plain w/dict or rules, only BF
I have a very odd situation where I've been able to crack a certain NTLM hash with brute-force (-lite) because I got the 8th & 9th chars from the LM hash using john.

I've been trying for 2 days to crack the same hash using oclHashcat & oclHashcat-plus using dictionaries with rules, and bf lower-alpha with rules, but no luck.

I was going crazy trying to figure it out, so finally I put just the word the plain is based on in a dictionary and wrote the exact rule that would translate the word into the plain, ran oclHashcat-plus32 (thought maybe it was a 64bit problem) and it didn't find the plain. At this point I put the exact plain in the dictionary too, ran it again, STILL didn't crack it.

The plain starts with '@', is there possibly a bug with the dictionary and/or rules code that doesn't handle plains starting with '@' right for NTLM?
no the code is the same, guess you were generating the pt wrong way. if it worked with bf in plus you had to use stdin with mp64 or something similar. the same function handles the dictionary. double check your dictionary
I think it was the rules. 'c' wasn't behaving like I expected when placed at the end of a rule.
ok, thanks for clarifying. thread closed.