OpenCL installation on Linux
I'm on debian linux distro and I've installed the latest hashcat 3.40 but I'm having some problems...
any command I issue is giving me the following message:

"hashcat (v3.40) starting...

Mesa (Gallium) OpenCL platform detected!

It is known to cause errors which an unexperienced user could misinterpret as a bug in hashcat
You are STRONGLY encouraged to use the driver as listed in docs/readme.txt
You can use --opencl-platforms to manually deselect the platform and get rid of this error
You can use --force to override this but do not post error reports if you do so''

And I think it's related to the missing installation of openCL driver for my cpu (core i5 early 2010) but I'm not sure since I'm not an expert
If it's so, could you please tell me how to install OpenCL in order the get hashcat works?

P.S. I have nvidia gpu too, is it possible(or encouraged) to run hashcat using openCL side by side with nvidia driver?
or one driver's usage precludes the other one (and viceversa)??
Remove MESA. Install the proprietary Nvidia driver. Install the Intel OpenCL CPU runtime.
(03-12-2017, 02:05 AM)epixoip Wrote: Remove MESA. Install the proprietary Nvidia driver. Install the Intel OpenCL CPU runtime.

Ok got it....Do I need the Intel SDK package in addition to the openCL CPU runtime?
No, just the CPU runtime
(03-12-2017, 07:22 PM)epixoip Wrote: No, just the CPU runtime
Hi. Ive been having a lot of trouble getting opencl to work. Im using The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) and when i go on to the page and i dont see any download options for debian and when i try to install the ubantu one it says its incompatable in the installer. maybe im doing it wrong or idk. ive also tried a few other methods and still cant get hashcat to register my cpu
Please ask on The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Forum, it's not a hashcat problem
(03-12-2017, 07:22 PM)epixoip Wrote: No, just the CPU runtime

I've tried to install all' the available package of the openCL runtime(Ubuntu, sles, rhel) but none of these has been able to work due to incompatibility with the running is on my PC(The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux ) besides that, I've red on the Intel openCL download page that openCL runtime needs sdk for allow supported applications to work(don't know if hashcat is the case)...Plus I'm starting to realize(reading on the web) that openCL seems to not to work properly on linux, but maybe I got wrong .....
At the end of the story: is there someone who knows how(and if) is possible to get openCL successfully installed on The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) Linux environment?
(03-14-2017, 01:32 AM)itanon Wrote: Plus I'm starting to realize(reading on the web) that openCL seems to not to work properly on linux, but maybe I got wrong

You got that wrong.

You'll likely have much better luck switching to Ubuntu LTS.
(03-14-2017, 08:42 AM)epixoip Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 01:32 AM)itanon Wrote: Plus I'm starting to realize(reading on the web) that openCL seems to not to work properly on linux, but maybe I got wrong

You got that wrong.

You'll likely have much better luck switching to Ubuntu LTS.
I've tried to install all the openCL versions available(including the one for Ubuntu) but although the installations starts it warns me with:
"unsupported os detected..." And this happened either with the Ubuntu version as well as the rhel and sles versions....Maybe The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) is not supported at all but that's pretty strange since it's basically a Debian distro....
If there's someone who get hashcat works, please tell us how you've done
Actually, if you know what the problem of the K a l i packages are and how one normally needs to install the drivers/ICDs, then it is quite easy to start hashcat also with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) (K a l i):
(as said I tested it, because we got several reports of users that failed to get it to work)
Code:
# sha1sum k a l i-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso
25cc6d53a8bd8886fcb468eb4fbb4cdfac895c65  k a l i-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso
# # start the "Graphical installation" with CD, after that:
# hashcat -b
# # got the "clBuildProgram(): CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE" error, only Mesa seems
# # to be loaded
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade
# apt-get autoremove
# reboot

# hashcat -b
# # still not working

# # make sure that kernel 4.9.0-k a l i 2-amd64 is loaded because we need the kernel
# # headers!
# # (4.6.0-k a l i1-amd64 (default) is not working)
# # make sure kernel 4.9.0-k a l i 2-amd64 is installed
# # update-grub and make sure that the "correct" kernel is selected with grub!
# # (this is not guaranteed unfortunately)
# reboot

# # after several tries finally the "correct"??? kernel was loaded
# # (uname -r saying "4.9.0-k a l i 2-amd64")

# apt-get install nvidia-driver     # this seems to correctly/automatically
# # install the kernel headers, but it only compiles the modules if the
# # "correct kernel" is running
# apt-get install nvidia-opencl-icd
# reboot # such that the nvidia modules load correctly

# hashcat -b
# # after reboot, I saw hashcat working for the first time! Hurray!
# # (but this was very tedious and time consuming)