What GPU and CPU is ideal for Penetration testing role job?
Hi,

I don't know, I have pretty good experience with AMD.
Did you ever cause a fire or something like that so say that ?
New farm is 48 RX480 24 have been working 24/7 for 48 hours or so and still no problem with 3/4 of an inch to an inch of spacing in between RX480s 6 per rig.
2x 140mm high airflow (90CFM ~2mm) fans to cut down airpockets.
EVGA psu 1000+ ~1150w from wall on crypto , 950w-1000w hashcat on sha512 from the wall
Power draw on the molex for the riser is about 17A and cable is not even warm to the touch.
Second half of cards are powered through sata adapters same story.

I guess if you were running them in a cabinet you'd have trouble. Mine are open air cases.

Still I can understand why one would run 1080s or 1080ti they offer a very compact alternative to amd counterparts. But to me they are not worth the 100$ price to performance difference per card.

Also maybe some power savings ?

1080s are not as good for crypto mining so it's not as attractive to me for that reason. Mining pays for the cards rather rapidly and consistently.

Also, I agree on most of what others have said. Lots of memory , lots of threads to have mutliple VMs/analysis. Lots of threads are good to compile fast too. The new rysen chips might be something interesting for you. They work really well with linux and have very good performance for the buck. I've spinned up a core kit for about 600 USD 16G ram , R7 1700 , 6 pcie slot board. Overclock this to 3.8+Ghz and you have a killer system on the cheap and you can fit 6 gpus on it ( using risers )
You could probably fit all that in 4u but you would need some deltas up front to keep it cool if you load it up with 6 GPUs.

AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor $318.33
MSI X370 KRAIT GAMING $149.99
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $104.99 -> 32G ~200?
212 evo to cool CPU ~$24

etc.

Cheers,

David.
So many things to flame, so little time!

RX480 is a mid-range card, not a high-end card. It appears you know nothing of true AMD hell. If the RX480 is your introduction to AMD, then bless your heart. And yes, we've actually had LOTS of AMD-related fires over the last 8 years.

I don't think you actually calculated the Perf/W & Perf/$ ratios and TCO for AMD vs Nvidia. At all.

Open air rigs with OEM cards do not run cooler than reference design cards in a proper server chassis. You will have way more issues with open air rigs with risers than you ever will with a proper enterprise setup.

If mining is drawing more power than hash cracking, you're doing something wrong.