show.log
I'm noticing that a file named show.log is being created on my server, even though I don't intend for it. Does that get created any time I use --show or is there some other combination of flags making that be created?
Unless your command line is customizing the name of the session with --session=show, I don't think hashcat is directly generating this file.
~
Thanks Royce, that's my confusion too. I use a hashcat server for my job and the server admin just asked why I keep creating show.log files, which I don't even know how to create them. I'll try to figure something out.
Without giving away any sensitive information, can you describe or post what the contents of that file are?
~
Sure. I simply run hashcat -m1000 <hashfile> --show --username --potfile-path potfile

and that generates a show.log file in my hashcat directory. The contents of the show.log file look like it's debugging or something, as it seems to show a lot of what look like environment variables. I know in the past, I've turned on debugging, to know which cracked a hash, but I would have thought that debugging was only on for that specific session and didn't carry on. Other people use the same hashcat server and it doesn't create a show.log for them. Here are the first few lines of the show.log file:
START
user_options->separator :
user_options->encoding_from utf-8
user_options->encoding_to utf-8
user_options->potfile_path potfile
user_options->rule_buf_l :
user_options->rule_buf_r :
user_options->session show
user_options->limit 0
user_options->skip 0
user_options->attack_mode 100
Yep, that's a hashcat log file all right. I swear it's acting like you ran something like this:

hashcat --session=show [etc]

That's the only way I know of to get hashcat to save its log file somewhere other than the default (hashcat.log).
~
Yeah, it's pretty weird that it keeps getting created. I didn't even know about the --session flag. Also one time when trying to show, I got an error that I didn't have permission to my show.log file, which of course is even more weird.