8gb wordlist for cracking a Rar3
Hi,

I'm fairly new to hashcat. I'm trying to open 2 rar-files. I've read the hash of the rar-file using john the ripper. I've made a wordlist of 8.63 gigabytes big with possible passwords. Now I want to try to use my R9 290 graphics card to speed up the process of comparing hashes.

The hashes look like this:
1.rar:$RAR3$*0*HASH1_HERE*:0::::C:\1.rar
2.rar:$RAR3$*1*HASH2_HERE*0*C:\2.rar*72*33:1::WDC.dat

I've tried this command: hashcat64 -a 0 -m 12500 -o output.txt wordlist.lst

It crashes because there is not enough memory available, although I have 20 gb of memory.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!
the command should look something like:
Code:
hashcat -m 12500 -a 0 hash.txt dict.txt

that means that you also need to specify the hash file, not just the word list

BTW: the hash format is mentioned here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/example_hashes. You do not normally specify the path to the file within the hash itself for the hashcat formatted hashes. You could probably use --username to bypass this and allow file paths at the very beginning, but I would suggest that you modify the hashes to look similar to the example wiki page. Only $RAR3$*0*... hashes are currently supported by hashcat
(07-25-2018, 07:15 AM)philsmd Wrote: the command should look something like:
Code:
hashcat -m 12500 -a 0 hash.txt dict.txt

that means that you also need to specify the hash file, not just the word list

BTW: the hash format is mentioned here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/example_hashes. You do not normally specify the path to the file within the hash itself for the hashcat formatted hashes. You could probably use --username to bypass this and allow file paths at the very beginning, but I would suggest that you modify the hashes to look similar to the example wiki page. Only $RAR3$*0*... hashes are currently supported by hashcat

Thanks. I feel stupid for forgetting to add the actual hash. I still get an opencl warning for device 2 (CPU), but not for device 1 (my r9 290). Estimated time is 8 hours. Thanks!