need help setting up pattern/mask
I am trying to recover a password of an iTunes 10 backup via the manifest.plist, and I need to set the password's min and max character length and some special characters, but the wiki confuses me and I need help.
Here's what I need for the mask:
- the password should be from 6 to 10 characters
- contains Uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and only certain special characters ( ! , . ? $)
- the above could be in any combinations, I don't know if the special characters are in the beginning, in the end, or if the uppercase letters are in beginning or end
it's probably too long to brute-force, infeasible. maybe dict + rules is a better alternative ?

Code:
hashcat -m 14800 -w 3 -a 3 --increment --increment-min 6 --increment-max 10 --custom-charset1 '?u?l,!.??$' hash.txt ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1

btw: the escaping of "!" and maybe also "$" depends a lot on your command line prompt (and/or operating system), you either need to use double quotes " or single quotes and it could be that you need to escape ! with \! etc

brute-force or mask attack is not a good idea here, because it will take very long and might be infeasible (not finishing within a lifetime with an average hardware) with those lengths > 8 etc
(05-31-2019, 03:34 PM)philsmd Wrote: it's probably too long to brute-force, infeasible. maybe dict + rules is a better alternative ?

Code:
hashcat -m 14800 -w 3 -a 3 --increment --increment-min 6 --increment-max 10 --custom-charset1 '?u?l,!.??$' hash.txt ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1?1

btw: the escaping of "!" and maybe also "$" depends a lot on your command line prompt (and/or operating system), you either need to use double quotes " or single quotes and it could be that you need to escape ! with \! etc

brute-force or mask attack is not a good idea here, because it will take very long and might be infeasible (not finishing within a lifetime with an average hardware) with those lengths > 8 etc

I don't know what else to try. Here's what I am told about the password:
"It is probably 6 to 10 characters. Maybe lowercase, maybe uppercase, probably some numbers and letters, and only certain special characters (! , . ? $) I think. It is probably something like Boris15! for example."
small dict with very specific rules might help a lot here and crack the hashes much faster. of course it depends on how much you know about the base words and possible rules (like uppercasing the first char and appending specials/numbers).

rule-based attacks sometimes work wonders !!!