Token Length Exception for m 9820
Trying to crack 10 MS word files for an assignment (1-9 are oldoffice$3, 10 is office 2013), the first 5 went fine with m 9800. For files 6 to 9, Hashcat managed to yield a result but upon entering the passwords, MS word says the file is corrupt/Error opening file. I assume it is due to collision, hence for file 6, I tried m 9810 which didn't work as the password is supposedly 7 characters according to the hint given. Moving onto 9820, I keep getting Token Length Exception.

This is the hash format and first password obtained with 9800:
$oldoffice$3*xxx:wt6&f1-

Below is the command I ran:
hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 9820 -w 4 -o ~\ans.txt ~\6.txt -1 ?s?d?l ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1

Referring to the hash examples on the wiki, I did use the hash with the first password obtained from running m 9800. I am unaware of any mistakes that could've been made. Any insight would be great.

On a side note, when trying to crack file 10 with m 9600, my GPU heats up really quick, prompting Hashcat abort, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

First year CS Student running a GTX1050 laptop (Yes, I know it is not recommended for this kinda stuff, but this is what I have to work with)
Quote:[…]GTX1050 laptop[…]
my GPU heats up really quick, prompting Hashcat abort, is this normal?
Yes, laptops have poor cooling. Expect hardware defects if running hashcat frequently.

9820 requires the result from 9810, hex-encoded and appended to the hash using a colon

If you get a false positive on 9800 I recommend simply running hashcat with --keep-going --keep-guessing
(10-21-2019, 08:40 PM)undeath Wrote:
Quote:[…]GTX1050 laptop[…]
my GPU heats up really quick, prompting Hashcat abort, is this normal?
Yes, laptops have poor cooling. Expect hardware defects if running hashcat frequently.

9820 requires the result from 9810, hex-encoded and appended to the hash using a colon

If you get a false positive on 9800 I recommend simply running hashcat with --keep-going

Oh, didn't know about keep-going, only found out about keep-guessing. Thanks a lot, will try that out. Cheers.
I left Hashcat to run for a good bit with -keep-going but when i came back to check, the computer already restarted and the only output saved was the same first password.

I was supposed to add keep-going at the end of the command correct? Or did I use the wrong syntax?
hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 9820 -w 4 -o ~\ans.txt ~\6.txt -1 ?s?d?l ?1?1?1?1?1?1?1 -keep-going

and what is the difference between keep-going and keep-guessing?
that was a typo on my part, I meant --keep-guessing