Wordlist form Weakpass - File Format
Question 
Hello @all,

can someone explain to me why some wordlists from Weakpass are easy to read (e.g. with $ less) while for others wordlists less prompt "... may be a binary file". I do not know how to make them readable for me.

To give you an example, rockyou.txt works just fine while Hashes.org does not.

Thanks! And sorry for
(09-16-2021, 01:28 PM)hashmenow Wrote: Hello @all,

can someone explain to me why some wordlists from Weakpass are easy to read (e.g. with $ less) while for others wordlists less prompt "... may be a binary file". I do not know how to make them readable for me.

Thanks! And sorry for

if you open hashes.org with an hex-editor you will see some non plain ascii chars or control chars right at the start, i think thats the reason why linux "thinks" this is a binary data file, because "file" hashes.org also thinks it is a datafile
(09-17-2021, 05:20 PM)Snoopy Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 01:28 PM)hashmenow Wrote: Hello @all,

Thanks! And sorry for

if you open hashes.org with an hex-editor you will see some non plain ascii chars or control chars right at the start, i think thats the reason why linux "thinks" this is a binary data file, because "file" hashes.org also thinks it is a datafile

Thanks! But why do wordlists contains control chars? Even if it is possible to use them for a real password, wouldn't they be extremely rare?
Your instincts are good. Yes, they should be rare - even historically, and pretty much non-existent for web-based passwords. Many "wordlists" are just massive mashups of other people's ideas of what might make a good wordlist, and/or other character encodings - and when they're sorted, a lot of the non-printable junk ends up at the top of the file.
~
Well, that explains it. Thanks Smile