Is there something wrong with my system?
I have just installed version 5.1.0 on Kubuntu 16.04 and I just dont have a clue how to use it. I've tried watching THIS video from YouTube but I am at a loss at what to do. It's a case of information overload. I just don't know where to start.I just want to do a simple test for passwords but don't know what commands to use.

Anyway, while looking around for a clue on how to start, I came across this command, '-b', so I typed it in;
Code:
hashcat -b

And I got this;
hashcat (v5.1.0) starting in benchmark mode...

Benchmarking uses hand-optimized kernel code by default.
You can use it in your cracking session by setting the -O option.
Note: Using optimized kernel code limits the maximum supported password length.
To disable the optimized kernel code in benchmark mode, use the -w option.

clGetPlatformIDs(): CL_PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND_KHR

Started: Wed Nov 27 23:53:30 2019
Stopped: Wed Nov 27 23:53:30 2019

I know enough to know that something's not right, but don't know how to fix it.
My system;
MoBo: ASUS M5a78l-USB3
CPU: AMD PhenonII X4 965
GPU: NO ONBOARD GPU
AMD RS780 (DRM 2.50.0/4.15.0-70-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
OpenGL version 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
RAM: 32Gb

OMG! After looking at the website with my GPU specs, I'm in complete shock as I never knew it was THAT old. Could be one reason why the benchmark test failed, I'll be looking into what GFX card I can get to update my system (It may also help my other problem I'm having with OBS).

If anyone can help me run through some stuff to see if it's anything else besides/other than the GPU, I'd appreciate it.
Haha yeah, "AMD RS780" got me confused for a moment since there are AMD RX480, 580, etc GPUs... The ATI (before the rebranding in 2010) RS780 from 2008 is indeed a bit out of date Tongue

Are you sure that's the discrete GPU though? RS780 seems to be an onboard GPU. Could it be that the dGPU is not detected because of a missing driver or something? In doubt check inside the case Smile

For hashcat you'll most likely need a new PC as I am not sure a new GPU would work very well with a 2008 CPU and PCIe 2.0 motherboard.

32GB of RAM is a very nice amount, so don't throw away your PC: you could use it for something else like a NAS or maybe a dedicated streaming PC. Don't make the mistake of trying to use these 32GB in a new PC: it's DDR3 while new PCs use DDR4.
I somehow knew I'd need a new PC, I'm currently looking at making my own early next yea

Here's some pages with specs of the MoBo & RS780

This is also a list of compatible Graphics cards, there are some which were made in 2016 - 2018, GTX1070/1080 range, GTX2070/2080 range, all with a score of 10/10, so there are some newer GFX cards out there for an old boy like my M5a78... Though the price is a little daunting, up to £800  when my whole system cost less than a third, it doesn't seem worth investing in a new GFX card when I'm going to be making a new one early next year. 

One I'm looking at ATM is;

(All links to Amazon UK)
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX Motherboard, AMD Socket AM4, Ryzen 3000, 16 Power Stages, PCIe 4.0, M.2, DDR4, OptiMem III, USB 3.2, Aura Sync RGB 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor (12C/24T, 70MB Cache, 4.6 GHz Max Boost) 

Gskill F4 3600 °C17Q2 128GTZR DDR4 128 GB Memory Grey 

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC Edition 11 GB Graphic Card GDDR6 with Enthusiast-Level Technology for Extreme 4K and VR Gaming ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G 

WD 4 TB Desktop Hard Drive - Blue 

Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

OR

Samsung 860 EVO M.2 2 TB SATA M.2 Internal SSD

Not decided on a case yet, I will also be getting a few more fans & CPU.
How did you select your hardware? Did you look at the price tag and pick whatever was most expensive? Nothing wrong with the hardware you selected per se but you could probably get away with half the costs by not selecting the most high-end components. Especially considering you were running a 12 year old rig until now and didn't seem to have a problem with its performance. Or do you have any specific requirements/use case?

What's your budget? Besides a case you are also missing a PSU. And you're planning to spend that much money without even a backup drive?