Hashcat 5.1.0 never returns results
Hi all,

I'm trying to work through some simple Hashcat examples just to get a feel for it. I tried several hashes from simple passwords to try to brute force them, but no luck. I'm talking PWs that are 4 characters long.

Here's what I tried:

Code:
hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 0 -p : -o "c:\my\desktop\pw.txt" "c:\my\desktop\hash.txt" -O -1 ?a ?1?1?1?1

This is what I see on the screen:

Code:
C:\my\path\to\hashcat\hashcat-5.1.0>hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 0 -p : -o "c:\my\desktop\pw.txt" "c:\my\desktop\hash.txt" -O -1 ?a ?1?1?1?1
hashcat (v5.1.0) starting...

C:\my\path\to\hashcat\hashcat-5.1.0>

It doesn't matter what I try...it's like 10 seconds, then "hashcat (v5.1.0) starting..." then another 4 seconds or so, then just back to the prompt. I think the output file got created once but nothing in it.

Ok, so I noticed that there was an example0.cmd in the hashcat directory that looks like it uses a wordlist. Not exactly what I want, but at least I could see hashcat in action. So I tried to run the cmd file (technically the command within the cmd file):

Code:
C:\my\path\to\hashcat\hashcat-5.1.0>hashcat64.exe -t 32 -a 7 example0.hash ?a?a?a?a example.dict
hashcat (v5.1.0) starting...

C:\my\path\to\hashcat\hashcat-5.1.0>

Same issue. I must be missing something. Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Mike
Quote:
Code:
hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 0 -p : -o "c:\my\desktop\pw.txt" "c:\my\desktop\hash.txt" -O -1 ?a ?1?1?1?1

that's a weird "simple" example. A simple example would be

Code:
hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 0 "c:\my\desktop\hash.txt" ?d?d?d?d

But unrelated to your problem.

You seem to have a broken OpenCL driver installed. I recall people reporting a broken Intel OpenCL runtime in particular.
(01-22-2020, 11:53 PM)undeath Wrote:
Quote:
Code:

that's a weird "simple" example. A simple example would be

Code:
hashcat64.exe -a 3 -m 0 "c:\my\desktop\hash.txt" ?d?d?d?d

But unrelated to your problem.

You seem to have a broken OpenCL driver installed. I recall people reporting a broken Intel OpenCL runtime in particular.

Thank you for the response. I'm a bit new so I'm not sure I understand. I have Intel HD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 and running Windows 10.

I researched OpenCL and ended up downloading the runtimes from Intel, but I get a message stating that I need to uninstall the HD Graphics driver before installing the OpenCL runtimes. Does that all seem right to you, or am I not going about this the right way? Is it possible I already have OpenCL installed and it's just broken as you said? I just need a little bit of guidance.

Thanks,

Mike
Actually I got it. I think you were right about a broken OpenCL. I updated my Intel HD Graphics Card driver and that seems to have fixed opencl as Hashcat runs now.

Thank you for your help!!!