any good results with Vega GPUs?
As prices are going down, there are good deals on used Vega GPUs, I wonder if there is some one here that used them for the long term and could share the experience. I know that there are power hungry, but nothing about working over big loads.
Thanks
I do not have any personal experience with Vega, but this is what I know from reading posts here in the forum:

Vega has good potential, as indicated by the benchmarks and with prices going down a really good H/$ rate BUT Vega cards overheat way to quickly and therefore run into thermal throttling UNLESS they are water cooled. Needless to say that they suffer massive performance drops in this thermal throttling mode.

If you wanna have more details, you should search the forum as I am too lazy to pick out the corresponding threads :p
I have personal experience with Vega. My current rig is a 4x Radeon VII rig. Here is its benchmarks, stock, no OC:

https://gist.github.com/rarecoil/5434028...5df2535c86

This rig exists in a 6U mining case:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydra-Server-Mini...B07B4QHDPJ

and uses 6x Noctua Industrial fans:

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-iPP...00KFCRATC/

It is in an air-conditioned datacentre environment at about 19 deg C. 

I have not experienced any thermal throttling under hashcat or DL workloads even under minor overclocks, but I have not packed the case very densely. Vega 20 (7nm) has been fine. The forum contains a lot of posts on people having issue with the blower fan Vega 64/FE, and I suspect they will not work nearly as well at the density most hashrigs are packed at.
Great, wanna have a real Vega 56 or 64 experience as are the cheapest to get here. But maybe is better just to fo foward to a 1080ti
They're largely not worth it, unfortunately. It's probably better to get a 1080Ti than the older Vega cards; cooling wasn't as great and they are on a larger process.

Functionally speaking, it is better to get modern Nvidia cards for hash cracking over their AMD equivalents.
(02-21-2020, 09:02 AM)rarecoil Wrote: They're largely not worth it, unfortunately. It's probably better to get a 1080Ti than the older Vega cards; cooling wasn't as great and they are on a larger process.

Functionally speaking, it is better to get modern Nvidia cards for hash cracking over their AMD equivalents.
Thanks , would be even make sense to invest on a 1080 or better jump to the 20xx series ?
I personally do not own any Nvidia cards at this time, and I also have not been paying attention to the prices of the used Pascal cards, so I'm not of much help there. I'm sure someone like chickenman or epixoip have a lot of data on the differences between Turing (20xx) and Pascal (10xx) for the money. I would assume Turing costs more for little hashpower gain being current-gen; AFAIK hashcat does not leverage the tensor cores of the RTX series in any way.
(02-22-2020, 09:00 AM)rarecoil Wrote: I personally do not own any Nvidia cards at this time, and I also have not been paying attention to the prices of the used Pascal cards, so I'm not of much help there. I'm sure someone like chickenman or epixoip have a lot of data on the differences between Turing (20xx) and Pascal (10xx) for the money. I would assume Turing costs more for little hashpower gain being current-gen; AFAIK hashcat does not leverage the tensor cores of the RTX series in any way.

Do you have experience with the 5700XT? Here are at a starting price of just 350 eur. and the perform better than the 2060 Super, but what I don't know if they will sink under bit loads of work.
I own a PowerColor 5700XT. Here's its benchmark from six months ago:

https://gist.github.com/rarecoil/1225705...88c004fae6

Unfortunately, this card is in a workstation in my office that does not get too much use. It seems fine and runs relatively cool with the right ventilation, but I don't know how well they would work with any real density. It does seem to run pretty warm and I know others have had cooling issues with Navi.
(02-16-2020, 09:51 AM)powermi Wrote: As prices are going down, there are good deals on used Vega GPUs, I wonder if there is some one here that used them for the long term and could share the experience. I know that there are power hungry, but nothing about working over big loads.
Thanks

I just purchased a Gigabyte Vega 56 reference for $170 on eBay.  Flashed with 64 bios and some wattmanGTK tweaks under Ubuntu 18.04 have me right under 500kH/s on WPA2.  I'm pretty happy with it, but it wasn't easy.