--markov-disable taking more time
I have been performing analysis on the effects of targeted brute force on a dataset for a project I am currently working on however I have found some inconsitencies in the total time it takes to complete the attack.

I assumed that both attacks would take around the same time as the same total number of guesses is required however I found that when using --markov-disable on a ?l?u?d?s mask of size 7 that the total time to complete the attack was more than 20% longer than the optimized brute force without the --markov-disable parameter.

Is there any reason why this could be the case? (using a mobile gpu but is not thermal throttling)
Are you measuring the time until an actual crack is achieved, or total compute time?

If you change the order of the attack, the crack will naturally happen earlier or later.
~
(04-18-2020, 10:39 PM)royce Wrote: Are you measuring the time until an actual crack is achieved, or total compute time?

If you change the order of the attack, the crack will naturally happen earlier or later.

The time to exhaust the search of all possible options - I am not just attacking an individial password I am attacking a larger dataset of around 300,000 passwords that can be cracked through the brute force method.
The faster hashes are cracked early on, the fewer hashes hashcat has to search through later. This of course has an impact on overall speed. If you want a fair comparison use a single hash that will not be cracked in the attack.