Apply Rule In Between Dictionary Words
I've been searching and trying to figure this out for quite some time and I'm at a loss here. The password format for the hashes I have is the following:

1stword.###.2ndword

1st word is a dictionary word, then there is a period, then a string of 3 numbers, then a period, then a dictionary word.

I've been trying to figure out how to get the .###. in between two dictionary lists, assuming that's the best way to do this. I initially tried to use -j and then realized that will only let me do one thing. I've been looking at the combination piping into hashcat but that's got me totally stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.
You have a couple of indirect options:

1. Generate the .###. list externally with a script, and then use combinator3 to pipe that combined with your other wordlists hashcat. That will be OK for slower hashes, but probably waste your cracking power on faster hashes

combinator3 1stword.list numberdot.list 2ndword.list | hashcat -a 0 [params] target.hashes

2. Use combinator (two elements) to combine 1stword and .###. (same as #1), but then convert your 2ndword list to rules. This will work OK if the 2ndword list is small enough (under 1 or 2 million lines, depending on your hardware)

combinator 1stword.list numberdot.list | hashcat [params] -a 0 -r 2ndword.rules target.hashes

Start with really tiny lists and tinker until you get it working:

Code:
$ cat - >1stword.list
test
first
word

$ cat - >2ndword.list
more
second
wurd

$ cat - >numberdot.list

$ combinator3 1stword.list numberdot.list 2ndword.list | head