Can't Find Potfile on Mac
Hello,

I've recently installed hashcat and tried out some example commands as per the --help command. I've tried some brute forces with simple hashes, such as the ones of the string 'aaa', 'bbb' or 'pwd'.

But now I would like to clear my potfile from these already cracked hashes. I've gone crazy looking for the potfile. I searched the web and found that the potfile should apparently exist in my hashcat folder, but it doesn't.

I'm using a mac, I don't know if that's relevant.

Any help would be much appreciated.
if you didn't compile it yourself, you probably used some package manager like brew etc.

If you have "installed" hashcat with this brew method or similar (not a raw download or the git directory etc), you probably have a .hashcat folder within your HOME directory.

the files might be under
Code:
~/.hashcat/
(06-02-2020, 08:03 PM)philsmd Wrote: if you didn't compile it yourself, you probably used some package manager like brew etc.

If you have "installed" hashcat with this brew method or similar (not a raw download or the git directory etc), you probably have a .hashcat folder within your HOME directory.

the files might be under
Code:
~/.hashcat/

Thank you so much! Indeed I used brew, and if I go to that directory and code 'ls' I see the file.

Do you know if there's any way to (or even if I should) move it to my other hashcat folder? I used brew to install it but when I saw that I didn't have all the example files I downloaded it from the site.
if you want to use your own directory and not the directory structure that the brew package maintainer decided to use (to be fair it's also similar how the "make install" target on linux works), you can just clone it from git and build it yourself:

first install all the necessary building tools with brew:
Code:
brew install gnu-sed git gcc make

and then clone and compile hashcat
Code:
cd ~/the_folder_you_want_to_use/
git clone https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat
cd hashcat/
make
./hashcat --help

note that the "./" before hashcat is important, otherwise the system-wide hashcat installation (the brew one) is used. You could/should even uninstall the brew version, otherwise you could get confused which version is used (is it the brew one or the git one ?)

There is one disadvantage of this approach... you always need to enter that hashcat directory and type "./hashcat", you can't run hashcat directly from other directories (but you can have dictionary files, mask files, rule files etc outside that directory and use them by just specifying the full path e.g. -r ~/my_hc_rule_folder/my.rule or -r ../../the_rules.rule)