AxCrypt .axx files
Hi

I have some old .axx files encrypted with AxCrypt. I think AxCrypt 1 rather than AxCrypt 2. 

I don't know the password and don't have any pointers such as number of characters, or mix of characters used. However I always use at least 12 characters so probably did the same here.

Is it possible to decrypt these files using Hashcat?

If so, how would I go about this and how long is it likely to take?

Thanks
With a 12 charater password, and random charset ( lower+upper Characters, numbers and special signs) actual you have no chance to bruteforce to pw.
Perhabs in 8-10 years with quantum computers Wink
(08-02-2020, 08:07 PM)Sondero Wrote: With a 12 charater password, and random charset ( lower+upper Characters, numbers and special signs) actual you have no chance to bruteforce to pw.
Perhabs in 8-10 years with quantum computers Wink

Oh dear Sad

Would there even be "no chance" for someone who theoretically had access to very high powered machines?

Are we literally saying decrypting these files with Hashcat is impossible?
also depends a lot on how random the password is. if it is "just" a combination of 2-3 words from a small list of words, there might be a possibility of recoverying the password.

If instead the password was random and you do not know any subset / substring of it or it doesn't follow a very specific pattern which can easily be exploited (e.g. appended year), it might be mathematically infeasible. Just do the math.
12 random characters is very long
Do the hashes load fine with hashcat or do you receive an error messages ?

Do you have any examples of "test hashes" for which you know the password (and open perfectly fine with the AxCrypt software) that you can share via PM that are non sensitive, but do not crack with hashcat because you assume there is a bug ?