Cracked hashes during hashcat --restore not written to potfile
(09-20-2020, 09:08 AM)philsmd Wrote: did you copy the hashcat.restore file from another directory ?

The .restore file contains a path from which hashcat was originally launched (cwd, see https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=restore#screenshot) and hashcat will use that directory and move to this folder at start.

You could either try to open the restore file with a hex editor, with a modern text editor that is able to display the bytes evn through most of them are binary or analyze_hc_restore  from https://github.com/philsmd/analyze_hc_restore to see which cwd is used within the restore file).

Thanks for your assistance philsmd. I have not touched the hashcat.restore file by any means. The cwd is as it should be.

I have found a way to reproduce this issue:

If a session is started and stopped by hitting 'c', and then again started by hashcat --restore, then hashcat seems to write to my correct hashcat.potfile. When I say the correct hashcat.potfile, then I mean the potfile from within the directory where the hashcat.bin are placed. Just to clarify, I have this located within my ~/Documents folder.

However, if a session is started and stopped by hitting 'c', and the pc is rebooted, and then the session is started again by hashcat --restore, then hashcat read and writes to the potfile which is located in ~/.hashcat/hashcat.potfile and not to the potfile placed within the same folder as the hashcat.bin are placed.

I assume I have the ~/.hashcat folder because the first time I installed hashcat it was through pacman, which I then uninstalled again. It then seems like the ~/.hashcat folder didn't got removed completely and is causing this issue?

The ~/.hashcat folder only contains a hashcat.potfile, hashcat.dictstat2, kernels folder and a sessions folder. Nothing else.

I think removing the ~/.hashcat folder could solve this problem, although I'm not sure and haven't tried so as I don't know if my assumptions are true or not.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Update:[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Tried moving the ~/.hashcat folder after a reboot, and then restore a session. Turns out hashcat just creates a new folder instead of using the one where the binary is... Any suggestions?[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Looking into the .log file of the restored session, it seems like these settings are changed from the original sessions .log file:[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]folder_config->profile_dir
folder_config->session_dir
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In the original sessions .log file, these above settings are correct. In the restored sessions .log file after a reboot, they are incorrect.[/font]