Illegal instruction with K A L I and WPA2
First off I apologize if this is not the proper way of starting a new thread for a question (update thread splitted by philsmd, don't hijack any threads please that are completely unrelated), i avoided forums all my life and relied on books, friends, and google until this very day. So bear with me. ANywho this is my first ever crack with hashcat and seem to be running into an issue that wont quit (talk about a persistent). It is my personal home network WPA/WPA2. here is some specs. (I am running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) via external H.D. on my chromebook)

root@The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)-king-Pro:/home/snowbird# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics (rev 08)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP Thermal Management Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev cb)

and here is my issue:

root@The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)-king-Pro:/home/snowbird# hashcat -m 2500 -a 3 /home/snowbird/Downloads/papa.hccapx
hashcat (v6.1.1) starting...

OpenCL API (OpenCL 1.2 pocl 1.5, None+Asserts, LLVM 9.0.1, RELOC, SLEEF, DISTRO, POCL_DEBUG) - Platform #1 [The pocl project]
=============================================================================================================================
* Device #1: pthread-Intel(R) Celeron(R) 3205U @ 1.50GHz, 2841/2905 MB (1024 MB allocatable), 2MCU

Minimum password length supported by kernel: 8
Maximum password length supported by kernel: 63

Hashes: 2 digests; 1 unique digests, 1 unique salts
Bitmaps: 16 bits, 65536 entries, 0x0000ffff mask, 262144 bytes, 5/13 rotates

Applicable optimizers applied:
* Zero-Byte
* Single-Hash
* Single-Salt
* Brute-Force
* Slow-Hash-SIMD-LOOP

Watchdog: Hardware monitoring interface not found on your system.
Watchdog: Temperature abort trigger disabled.

Initializing backend runtime for device #1...Illegal instruction

Is this a hardware/driver issue, or operator error (Learn your syntax kid!). I much appreciate it. And if this was just and udder-ly ignorant question, troll me if you must. (sometimes you can't help but laugh)

~Snowbird.
uninstall pocl and install the driver for your hardware.

For your CPU you should download this: https://software.intel.com/content/www/u...pu-section ... update: hmm not sure if this old CPU even supports OpenCL ?

don't you have any better, more modern CPU / GPU ?
(10-08-2020, 09:00 PM)philsmd Wrote: uninstall pocl and install the driver for your hardware.

For your CPU you should download this: https://software.intel.com/content/www/u...pu-section ... update: hmm not sure if this old CPU even supports OpenCL ?

don't you have any better, more modern CPU / GPU ?

I will go ahead and give that a shot and look into that more and let you know, i appreciate that. And to be honest I got tired of always thinking about getting into pentesting and went out on a whim one day and saw a laptop for $60, and an unopened 1 T.B. external H.D. and buahot and look into that more and let you know, i appreciate that. And to be honest I got tired of always thinking about getting into pentesting and went out on a whim one day and saw a laptop for $60, and an unopened 1 T.B. external H.D. and bought them (I did however take advantage of my states legal marijuana laws that day) not even realizing that it was a chromebook, and haven't gotten far in with issues yet (learning as i go) otherwise i have a Desktop from a couple years back that runs The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) on Virtual Box. That one has a wireless card, however not supporting monitor mode so just use it as all time lab. So I may have to just take a check one of these days and upgrade. However I'm trying to get a feel for everything and an idea of what I would want before spending the money. But I do appreciate the help.