Question about password recovery method
Hello! 
I have question about recovering password. Well, I know how long my password is and I remember first letter too. It's two words together and numbers and digits. It wasn't create by generator. My question is, which method can I use to recover this password? I tried dictionary method (my computer is still working on it...) and I'm wondering if it's something I don't know, what can help in this case. Or maybe I'm wrong and dictionary method is not appropriate in my situation? Can you help me? Smile
(10-19-2020, 09:42 PM)wellink Wrote: Hello! 
I have question about recovering password. Well, I know how long my password is and I remember first letter too. It's two words together and numbers and digits. It wasn't create by generator. My question is, which method can I use to recover this password? I tried dictionary method (my computer is still working on it...) and I'm wondering if it's something I don't know, what can help in this case. Or maybe I'm wrong and dictionary method is not appropriate in my situation? Can you help me? Smile

ya

mask attack is ur best bet i guess.
u havent said that algorithm is it .
but.
u know how long is it.
for example 10 chars. 

u know the first letter .
so its already 9 chars.

and u know (number and digit are the same thing) but lets say a word and a digit. 
u might remember the word ? or part of the word. 
or how many digit are they, 3? 2? 4? 
u know perhaps if u used upercase letters or lowercase letters ?

so from 10 chars we reduce the to 9,
u know there is 3 digit but cant remember whom 

so we start with 

hashcat -m x  -a3 hash  -1 ?l?u  m?1?1?1?1?1?d?d?d?d 

the calculation should be the number of letters POWER of candidate (chars)

abcd.... is 26 chars
ABCD... is another 26 chars
012345... is 10 chars.

for example  10 ^ 4 = 10000

by selecting the right mask that will reduce ur time .
Thank you for you reply!

I'm trying mask attack, but I have another problem now. 
I had old computer (1GB graphic card from AMD, I don't remember exactly model) and searching time was very, very long. Today I have new PC, graphic card is Geforce gtx 2070 super, 8GB, and time is... Shorter, but not as short as I expected. Difference is very small. I think that something is wrong, because I was trying to crack the password in my friend's computer (the same method, the same command) with graphic card 4GB from Nvidia too and it was huge difference. Time was shorter than on my old PC and shorter than on my new PC. 
I tried to install drivers according to instructions from hashcat page, but it didn't change anything.
Another problem is that hashcat doesn't see my CPU... It's AMD Ryzen (I don't remember model now). 

Can you help me with that cases? Sad