Mining rig gives little speed increase
Hello,

I am trying to crack my wpa2 password using password list.

I am using windows 10 with 20.4.2 amd drivers and 12 AMD rx570 cards

I run hashcat with:

hashcat.exe -a 0 -m 2500 hashfile.hccapx realuniq.lst

It runs. The CPU is always 100% however the gpu's seem to do very little work, hopping around sometimes going to 100%.

The issue is that I can run the wordlist on my laptop in 1.5hours and it takes 1 hour on the mining rig.

Should this not be magnitudes faster?

Thanks
There are two bottlenecks when running a dictonary attack with this setup, because candidates are processed by the CPU first and then distributed to the GPUs:
1. A presumably shitty CPU
2. GPUs, which are probably connected with USB Risers

This is exactly the reason why mining rigs are not suitable for password cracking. Have a read here, if you want to know more about hardware recommendations for password cracking: https://passwordvillage.org/hardware.html#rig_setup
(11-12-2020, 04:44 PM)NoReply Wrote: There are two bottlenecks when running a dictonary attack with this setup, because candidates are processed by the CPU first and then distributed to the GPUs:
1. A presumably shitty CPU
2. GPUs, which are probably connected with USB Risers

This is exactly the reason why mining rigs are not suitable for password cracking. Have a read here, if you want to know more about hardware recommendations for password cracking: https://passwordvillage.org/hardware.html#rig_setup

Shitty GPU is the problem Id say(probably not enough ram as well).  Need GPU+2 threads available, mine is dual core..... I also should be using -d 2 so the CPU is not used for the hashing from what I read.   The Risers on mine are correct for power draw as I do not use the terrible built in connectors I actually use the 6pin.

Is a brute force attack the same limitations?(sorry I am new to this)

Thanks
Hashcat usually ignores your CPU by default when GPUs are available, but you can go with -d 2 to be sure.

The risers might be correct for power draw, but the bandwith supplied by PCIe 3.0 x1 is not sufficient, depending on the hash mode. It might be fine for your RX 570's and WPA2, but I'm not sure...

With brute force, you won't run into these limitations.