AMD GPU with detected stable OpenCL driver never works even when --force is used
I'm using hashcat on Windows 10 to crack an office 2010 file -> -m 9500 (Hashcat 6.1.1)

When I run the benchmark or start a hashcat process, the Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 card is detected with an unstable driver (it's the last one but it looks like it's unstable anyway) and the AMD Radeon card is also detected and apparently not skipped, but watching the computer performance graphics the Radeon never starts working no matter the options.

Quote:Kernel ./OpenCL/m09500-optimized.cl:
Optimized kernel requested but not needed - falling back to pure kernel

* Device #1: Unstable OpenCL driver detected!

This OpenCL driver has been marked as likely to fail kernel compilation or to produce false negatives.
You can use --force to override this, but do not report related errors.

OpenCL API (OpenCL 3.0 ) - Platform #1 [Intel(R) Corporation]
=============================================================
* Device #1: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, skipped

OpenCL API (OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3188.4)) - Platform #2 [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.]
=====================================================================================
* Device #2: Ellesmere, 8128/8192 MB (6745 MB allocatable), 36MCU

I want to use the second GPU device and skip the first one so I've tested many combinations like:

-O
-D 2 -d 1
-D 2 -d 2
-D 2 -d 2 -O
-D 2 -d 3 (doesn't work obviously)

but none of them make any GPU work (the CPU works fine with spread load over all the cores).

The strange thing is that if I use the option --force, the only card that starts working is actually the one with the unstable driver (Intel Graphics) and the Radeon never works.

What am I missing?
I'm guessing you are using the Windows 10 Task Manager to try and measure GPU usage.

The answer here is simple, don't do that. Task Manager is measuring 3D performance, not compute performance. Hashcat is definitely using your AMD GPU.

Do not use --force.
(01-31-2021, 10:51 PM)Chick3nman Wrote: I'm guessing you are using the Windows 10 Task Manager to try and measure GPU usage.

The answer here is simple, don't do that. Task Manager is measuring 3D performance, not compute performance. Hashcat is definitely using your AMD GPU.

Do not use --force.

Ok, that makes sense since I wasn't getting bad H/s results ^^

Thanks