Samsung T5 SSD Password Recovery?
My daughter put a password on her external Samsung T5 SSD and now she cannot remember the phrase she used and her social studies project is on it.

I am trying to find a way to "crack" it since it has little security in terms of the phrase but I am not that technical.

Any suggestions?
(03-07-2021, 11:55 PM)irishtigger Wrote: My daughter put a password on her external Samsung T5 SSD and now she cannot remember the phrase she used and her social studies project is on it.

I am trying to find a way to "crack" it since it has little security in terms of the phrase but I am not that technical.

Any suggestions?

When i get it right, these external ssd is selfencrypted and you need to use a programm (windows only?) to decrypt /open it. i dont think you are able to extract the needed keys from protected controller area (dont know how exactly it is implemented) to decrypt / cracking her password.

you can try to use other programms / devices (pi zero with p4wnp1) to act like a keyboard an feed it with your passwords and try a basic wordlist attack, dont know how the needed programm will respond to multiple bad passwords (closing itself, pushing a timer like next try 10 , 30 , 60 seconds and so on)
Snoopy - Thanks for the note. We are all on Windows 10. She has an i5 and I have an i7.

Would you explain how to do this?  I am a doctoral student in business and not computer savvy.

(03-09-2021, 02:40 PM)Snoopy Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 11:55 PM)irishtigger Wrote: My daughter put a password on her external Samsung T5 SSD and now she cannot remember the phrase she used and her social studies project is on it.

Any suggestions?

When i get it right, these external ssd is selfencrypted and you need to use a programm (windows only?) to decrypt /open it. i dont think you are able to extract the needed keys from protected controller area (dont know how exactly it is implemented) to decrypt / cracking her password.

you can try to use other programms / devices (pi zero with p4wnp1) to act like a keyboard an feed it with your passwords and try a basic wordlist attack, dont know how the needed programm will respond to multiple bad passwords (closing itself, pushing a timer like next try 10 , 30 , 60 seconds and so on)
To "open" the encrypted ssd you have to start a program on the disk and pass a password to the program right?

there are some programs(autoit should be one of them) out there who can automaticly push an input to other programms like a virtual keyboard

so one possibility would be to generate such a script with some kind of a passwordlist and try it with automated inputs, the big question is, how will the programm react to multiple wrong inputs, will it closing itself? (then you have to open it again) will it slow down possible new inputs (timer please wait 10 seconds, please wait 30 seconds ...), these things have to be known or investigated before to be able to biuld up a working script

the rasperry pi zero with p4wnp1 is somthing similar (can act as a virtual keyboard) but quite more complex and advanced (remotly controlled per wifi and other things)
Is there a manual to make this work?
for autoit there can be found plentry of scripts right on the website, i would start there

but MAYBE in your case, it would be faster to test the 100? passwords by hand, due to the fact that you have to first get an idea of how to use these scriptlanguage

somehow related
https://xkcd.com/1319/

for raspberry pi zero, there are more steps to go, buy, download OS, install OS, upadte OS, learn another scripting language... so i would leave that to "when i have plenty of time"