Possibility for a workaround keyspace-calculation? reason inside
regarding to this
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fre...a_keyspace
Code:
In other words, hashcat's --keyspace is specifically designed to optimize distribution of work, and is not a literal representation of the total possible keyspace for a given attack.
OKAY got it
but 
in mode -a 3 it says
Code:
-a 3 – multiply the number of possible characters in each mask position for the base loop mask, excluding the mod loop mask – please just use --keyspace switch ;)
okay this is the reason for these numbers

Code:
mp64.exe --combinations ?a -> 95
hashcat --keyspace -a 3 ?a -> 1
mp64.exe --combinations ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a -> 6634204312890625
hashcat --keyspace -a 3 ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a -> 7737809375
so basically in -a 3 the keyspace should always? be smaller than the actual combinations, because of the excluded mod loop

BUT why maskprocessor is capable of doing things like

Code:
mp64.exe --combinations ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a (24*?a)
BUT
hahscat fails on
hashcat --keyspace -a 3 ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a (10*?a)
Integer overflow detected in keyspace of mask: ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a

yeah i/we can feed hashcat from stdin with maskprocessor but is there a workaround to bypass this keyspace calculation problem?
(03-26-2021, 11:56 AM)Snoopy Wrote:
Code:
mp64.exe --combinations ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a (24*?a)
BUT
hahscat fails on
hashcat --keyspace -a 3 ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a (10*?a)
Integer overflow detected in keyspace of mask: ?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a?a

yeah i/we can feed hashcat from stdin with maskprocessor but is there a workaround to bypass this keyspace calculation problem?

This is not a problem. Your keyspace at the bottom there exceeds the size of a unsigned 32 bit integer, meaning hashcat is unable to store the keyspace in the format we have chosen for it. We COULD bump it up to 64 bit everywhere needed, though it would be a good bit of work i would think, but doing so makes no sense anyways. A keyspace as large as ?a*10 is very very rare to even be feasible, much less something you should ever be running. ?a*24 could not be completed in our fastest algorithm with all the computers on earth. It makes little sense to try and load keyspaces that large so for now, we have left the keyspace value limited to its current size.
i was just wondering when stumbling upon this twitter thread by Royce

https://twitter.com/tychotithonus/status...7208970240

cracking a sha256 of length 10, okay it was not ?a, just ?l?u?d but quite close

the ?a*24 was just a test to see if maskprocessor also throw this error ( i know combinations are not the same like keyspace)