Newbie looking for help.
Hello

I'm trying to crack a hashed/salted password with hashcat. I've been trying to utilize the wiki without any success i.e seems like the software does not even start.

I'm using the gui version and I put the hash in a .txt file. I add a dictionary file (.dic) under word lists and I've chosen default Straight mode and has type md5. I've also checked the "Write recovered hashed to file": and the pathway to the file I want to output to. Format is set to hash[Confusedalt].

These options genereates this string:

cudaHashcat-plus64.exe --remove --outfile C:\Users\Sam\Desktop\Hash2.txt.out --outfile-format 1 C:\Users\Sam\Desktop\Hash.txt C:\Users\Sam\Desktop\dictionary_swedish.dic

When I click Start the cmd shell pops up with the pathway to the hashcat folder e.g "E:\hashcat-gui-0.5.1\oclHashcat-plus>"

I try to copy/paste the string that is displayed in hashcat-gui but nothing happens. What am i doing wrong here? Also where do I put the salt here?
(04-02-2013, 07:21 PM)cyberpuunk Wrote: When I click Start the cmd shell pops up with the pathway to the hashcat folder e.g "E:\hashcat-gui-0.5.1\oclHashcat-plus>"

I wonder if this is the bit that you are having trouble with. Should it not be C not E drive ?
No its on my E drive. Maybe not the best option but its there. I've been getting some action with ordinary hashcat and

"hashcat-cli64.exe --hash-mode 1 --output-file C:\Users\Sam\Desktop\Hash2.txt C:\Users\Sam\Desktop\Hash.txt C:\Users\Sam\Desktop\dictionary_swedish.dic -m10"

but I'm getting

"Skipping line : hash (line length exception)"

I have a hash with a salt each of them put in seperate .txt files
(04-02-2013, 08:03 PM)cyberpuunk Wrote: but I'm getting

"Skipping line : hash (line length exception)"

OK first thing, here is a better GUI.

http://www.md5decrypter.co.uk/hashcat-gui.aspx

The "Skipping line : hash (line length exception)" means that you have the wrong hash type selected or an incomplete hash. .... normally Smile