How to use rules?
Hi!

I have been using hashcat for a few years but I have never used any rules. The sad reality is I have no idea how to do it.

I have tried following a few guides, like adding hashcat rule generator.cmd but it still doesn't work.
I would like to have some words, like "user", "hashcat", "password" etc and for hashcat to add numbers, mix them together etc. Basically different combinations of the words in the wordlist.
This is what I'm using all the time and I wonder if someone could change it to what it should be for that rule to work? 

hashcat64.exe -m  -o --output-file=cracked.txt --remove hash.txt wordlist.txt

When I add a rule so it ends up looking like this:
hashcat64.exe -m 0 -o --output-file=cracked.txt --remove hash.txt wordlist.txt -1 0123456789 "^?1^?1^?1" -o Prefix-0-999.rule

Hashcat says "^?1^?1^?1 no such file or directory"
Thanks in advance
(10-30-2016, 06:36 PM)hashcatter1 Wrote: I have been using hashcat for a few years but I have never used any rules. The sad reality is I have no idea how to do it.

hashcat64.exe -m 0 -o --output-file=cracked.txt --remove hash.txt wordlist.txt -1 0123456789 "^?1^?1^?1" -o Prefix-0-999.rule

Yeah, I don't really believe you're even using hashcat for more than 2 hours when I see that command line.
You should start by reading the examples for the available attacks on the wiki and get the syntax right.
(10-30-2016, 06:53 PM)Xanadrel Wrote:
(10-30-2016, 06:36 PM)hashcatter1 Wrote: I have been using hashcat for a few years but I have never used any rules. The sad reality is I have no idea how to do it.

Yeah, I don't really believe you're even using hashcat for more than 2 hours when I see that command line.
You should start by reading the examples for the available attacks on the wiki and get the syntax right.

Well, you are incorrect. It was a long time ago since I used it the last time though. Any suggestions how to change it and what to change it to?

Cheers