How to find a salt for a hash if you have the plain text
Alright so I have a hash and the plaintext password. How would I go about finding the salt associated with the hash that would equal the plaintext password.

Is there a way to do this in hashcat?
(04-30-2017, 11:32 PM)Hxsh Wrote: Alright so I have a hash and the plaintext password. How would I go about finding the salt associated with the hash that would equal the plaintext password.

Being able to brute force salts isn't a feature of hashcat.  But there is nothing stopping you from creating the salts yourself and including them along with the hash in a hash file.

You can create the file with a static hash value and try different salts.

Make the hash file look like:
Code:
hash:salt1
hash:salt2
hash:salt3

You get the idea.
(05-01-2017, 12:59 AM)devilsadvocate Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 11:32 PM)Hxsh Wrote: Alright so I have a hash and the plaintext password. How would I go about finding the salt associated with the hash that would equal the plaintext password.

Being able to brute force salts isn't a feature of hashcat.  But there is nothing stopping you from creating the salts yourself and including them along with the hash in a hash file.

Code:

You get the idea.
wouldn't that take up alot of space?
(05-01-2017, 01:07 AM)Hxsh Wrote:

Code:

You get the idea.

That depends.  How much is a lot?  How many salts do you want to try?

The problem you will have with trying so many salts with a static hash is actually memory, not hard drive storage.  You can only try so many hashes at a time due to memory limitations of whatever GPU you have.
(05-01-2017, 01:13 AM)devilsadvocate Wrote:

Code:

You get the idea.

The problem you will have with trying so many salts with a static hash is actually memory, not hard drive storage.  You can only try so many hashes at a time due to memory limitations of whatever GPU you have.
Well how could I go about getting all the different hash versions of this 1 plaintext password. How would I do that in hashcat?

like if I have "password"
and I wanted to password in 4500
so I can see this hash 353e8061f2befecb6818ba0c034c632fb0bcae1b as "password.
4500 is double SHA1
that hash is password hashed with double SHA1

Simplified question.
How do you physically hash a plaintext password in hashcat so I can see the hashed ver not the plaintext ver.
(05-01-2017, 02:33 AM)Hxsh Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 01:13 AM)devilsadvocate Wrote:

Code:

You get the idea.

Well how could I go about getting all the different hash versions of this 1 plaintext password. How would I do that in hashcat?

like if I have "password"
and I wanted to password in 4500
so I can see this hash 353e8061f2befecb6818ba0c034c632fb0bcae1b as "password.
4500 is double SHA1
that hash is password hashed with double SHA1

Simplified question.
How do you physically hash a plaintext password in hashcat so I can see the hashed ver not the plaintext ver.

Im just going to post a new thread.
This thread needs more pointless quotes.
(05-01-2017, 05:31 PM)undeath Wrote: This thread needs more pointless quotes.

I agree.
Purely for fun here's one way to do it, caution untested for the most part, still needs OpenCL support and an actual CLI interface, but it gives one way to do this that took me all of 5 minutes to write.

https://github.com/TheRealNullCell/SaltC...ree/master
Erm, guys, this isn't hard. If the algorithm is e.g. md5(p.s) and you know p but need to find s, just switch them: use p as s and run it as md5(s.p). Same goes with hmac, just reverse k & d.