Budget GPUs
I'm building a box that will eventually have 4 gpus.  It will be Ubuntu or The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) most likely, and I'm looking for an up to date list of the best gpu for the buck.

I have one 750 psu 8gigs of ram.

Every post I have seen on this topic is from 2015, and I'm hoping to find suitable GPUs that will work easily with Linux and not cost a small fortune.

Thanks in advance

Erik
u did not mention whats ur budget.

best card at the moment is 1080 TI.
if u will have 4, PSU wont be enough same with the RAM
and u did not searched well, we are speaking about them all the time.

(and dont use ka li)
(05-06-2017, 11:49 PM)kiara Wrote: u did not mention whats ur budget.

best card at the moment is 1080 TI.
if u will have 4, PSU wont be enough same with the RAM
and u did not searched well, we are speaking about them all the time.

(and dont use ka li)

Ok won't use The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali).. I suppose Ubuntu is recommended? 

I realize I will likely have to upgrade my psu and ram (have two slots open) once I get more than 1 or 2 gpus, but it's what I have right now..  brings up a good question, how do I calculate how much wattage and ram based on gpu

I'm trying to figure out my budget, I'd like to spend under $400 per gpu and will likely do that one at a time..
I should note that I don't have a great board.. gigabyte, ga-H270-hd3. So I don't think I'd get the benefits of the latest and greatest video cards..
If you really want a system that uses 4 GTX 1080 Ti cards, then you are going to need more than a 750 Watt PSU.  You might want to go all the way up to a 1600 Watt PSU.  Also, make sure the motherboard and case that you select will actually be able to accommodate these cards.

Also, don't forget to remove the back plate on every card if you are going to have all 4 stacked on top of one another.  This becomes necessary due to the heat buildup.   That narrow space between the cards will trap heat if you don't take off the back plate.

And yes, Ubuntu 16 will be adequate for the OS.

If you are on a budget, then I would recommend the GTX 1080 Founders Edition.  They have recently come down in price due to the release of the 1080 Ti and on factory clocks the thermals are very good.
What are your thoughts about XFX Black Edition Double D RADEON R9 290 980MHz 4GB DDR5 DP or a 7950?
(05-07-2017, 01:31 AM)devilsadvocate Wrote: If you really want a system that uses 4 GTX 1080 Ti cards, then you are going to need more than a 750 Watt PSU.  You might want to go all the way up to a 1600 Watt PSU.  Also, make sure the motherboard and case that you select will actually be able to accommodate these cards.

Also, don't forget to remove the back plate on every card if you are going to have all 4 stacked on top of one another.  This becomes necessary due to the heat buildup.   That narrow space between the cards will trap heat if you don't take off the back plate.

And yes, Ubuntu 16 will be adequate for the OS.

If you are on a budget, then I would recommend the GTX 1080 Founders Edition.  They have recently come down in price due to the release of the 1080 Ti and on factory clocks the thermals are very good.

With the board I mentioned above, will I be able to get real value from 2 of the 1080 founders editions?
do not touch amd cards.
and even if u do decide to spend ur money on an amd card
u should take a stock graphic card .

like this one for example do not touch amd cards. and even if u do decide to spend ur money on an amd card u should take a stock graphic card . like this one for example [Image: 20131120111121_R9-290A-ENB_1.jpg.png]

for better cooling
I ended up finding a GTX 1080 founders edition.. we will start with one of those and see how it goes..
Curious though.. I'm running an Intel 3.3ghz processor, and my psu is 750 how many of the gtx 1080 founders edition cards can I run before I would need more than a 750 psu? How much do I allow for my CPU and each gpu?