New Cracking Build Feedback
Hello all, 
I was wondering if I might get some feedback on what you guys think about this build. The purpose of this build will be for hashes , wpa cracking, and maybe used down the road for pentesting plus some lab stuff for certs. I plan on loading kal!-linux on it and running some vmware stuff . The main purpose is for hashes , and wpa cracking. 

Would this be some good hardware to use or is there a cheaper way to go? 

1. MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Gaming M3)

2. Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151, 6MB Cache (BX80662I56600K)

3. Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2400C16)

4. Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB GDDR5 128-bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD) 

5. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

6.EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-1000-V1

7. WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

8. Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case

Now for the Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti would that be a good starting choose or is there other type of card i should look into? I'm trying to keep this build cheap since I just had a baby couple months back. Down the road if this card is good I might buy other one since they are less then $200 

Let me know what you think I'm trying to buy these parts this weekend. If you guys think there's a better deal let me know.

Thanks, 
The GPU is crap. The rest is oversized for what you want to do.

If you only use it for cracking and pentesting:
- get a cheaper mainboard
- get a cheaper CPU (i8100 is completly fine & better & newer)
- get a cheaper PSU
- get an SSD instead
- put the saved money into a better GPU

EDIT: And bying at Amazon might be not the cheapest option.
I'm in the process of buying a card myself too. I have all the parts but missing the gpu .. Try searching on newegg they have a tone of them. 

Flomac what would you suggest based on brand, plus I notice there are some with 1 fan or 2 does it make a difference? I'm trying to keep mine under $250 if possible max $280 out the door.. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi...ageSize=36
That's hard to tell. Personally i only buy reference design cards with radial fans and always from the top end of the spectrum. Since all these cards are basically the same at any vendor, I don't care much about the brand.

But usually EVGA has above average support than others.

If either one or two fans are enough is hard to tell, since none of these cards are built for the stress that hash cracking will put on them. These are consumer cards for gaming, made for short burts of high load levels. Hash cracking might stress them at full load for hours and that could let cards with unsufficient cooling throttle, which costs performance or is overheating parts of the card. More important than the number of fans is the underlying heat sink. Does it cover the memory or the VRM?

All of that makes it a blind guess for me to tell you which card you should buy.

I guess you'd be safe with this one, but then it blows you budget completely:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6814127948
Now I'm in a bind UGH!.. My current laptop took a dump since it was a 2016 macbook... Warranty is out and it's to much to replace the parts on it. The video card burn out and killed the mother board. All this trouble now I have to choose if I will get a desktop machine or other laptop. Since I work a lot of my laptop and my VM's are on my external drive I'm leaning towards getting the alien laptop that has the 1070 video card. that's where I do 99% of my work . Since I have a lenovo desktop I might turn that one into my pentesting / cracking machine. Only purpose i used that one was for backing up pictures and stuff . If I do choose that route I will have to check the prices for a new power supply if it's compatible and just purchase a GTX 1070 down the road.

HOpefully prices will come down soon.
That sounds reasonable, to buy a new notebook und enhance the Lenovo with a strong GPU (and maybe a new PSU).

An Alien laptop with a 1070 will never have the same capabilities as a desktop-1070, because of its insufficient cooling system.
If you're willing to wait. I just checked out best buy and they are getting soon the nvidia 1070 for 399.00

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-foun...Id=5330700

That's the lowest I seen them around at the moment. Other thing you should look forward is black Friday next month if you're willing to wait couple weeks. That's maybe a good time to even build a monster desktop ... Just a thought.
(10-30-2017, 11:27 PM)germ-x Wrote: That's maybe a good time to even build a monster desktop ... Just a thought.

There's never a good time to build a monster desktop, except you really need one.
I notice that the gtx 1050 ti are on sale at the moment. What would happen if you mixed video cards say a 1050ti and 1060 or 1070. Plus does it matter the brand they are from?
(11-10-2017, 09:00 PM)germ-x Wrote: What would happen if you mixed video cards say a 1050ti and 1060 or 1070.
nothing special

(11-10-2017, 09:00 PM)germ-x Wrote: Plus does it matter the brand they are from?
besides cooling solution, production quality and support? no