Gtx 1050 Ti Experiences?
Hey All, 

I am in the process of building a budget rig, and Yes i know Cheap=Expensive, etc, but regardless, i do not expect top of the line. I have been planning to use the 1050 Ti, as it costs less than most used older GPU's, and has quite a bit of power for the price. 

I have heard of people using them and seen no issues so far, however I have lately been reading posts from people who do not own one, that are saying that the 1050, is a newer cheaper model, designed for short bursts like video gaming, and that the card would likely burn out and damage your pc when using it for such an exhaustive task like hash cracking.

Can anyone verify the truth in this statement? If so, can anyone suggest a card around the same price/efficiency? I am in Canada and have trouble getting older Radeon models.

Thanks for your time, and I eagerly await your responses Smile
Old Radeon cards are a fire hazard. Don’t use them. Only get a 1050 or 1050 Ti if they’re available in reference design (founders edition). You can also check out some GTX 9XX Maxwell cards which still perform very well if you can’t find good 10XX cards.
If you only have one card and don't do 24/7 cracking a founders edition is not needed. I'm not even sure if the 1050(ti) is available as FE.

The bigger question is if it has a better price/speed ratio than the 1060 which iirc it has not.
(03-03-2018, 04:32 PM)undeath Wrote: If you only have one card and don't do 24/7 cracking a founders edition is not needed. I'm not even sure if the 1050(ti) is available as FE.

The bigger question is if it has a better price/speed ratio than the 1060 which iirc it has not.
I don't think the 1050 or 1050Ti are available in FE. I think it starts with the 1060.
OP I have done a benchmark on my GTX1050, it is around here in one of the older threads. Not sure on longevity though, as I don't use it for password breaking. Only used it to benchmark for another member.
(03-02-2018, 04:56 PM)CrackInABox Wrote: Hey All, 

I am in the process of building a budget rig, and Yes i know Cheap=Expensive, etc, but regardless, i do not expect top of the line. I have been planning to use the 1050 Ti, as it costs less than most used older GPU's, and has quite a bit of power for the price. 

I have heard of people using them and seen no issues so far, however I have lately been reading posts from people who do not own one, that are saying that the 1050, is a newer cheaper model, designed for short bursts like video gaming, and that the card would likely burn out and damage your pc when using it for such an exhaustive task like hash cracking.

Can anyone verify the truth in this statement? If so, can anyone suggest a card around the same price/efficiency? I am in Canada and have trouble getting older Radeon models.

Thanks for your time, and I eagerly await your responses Smile

Hey, not sure this is of any use to you anymore, but I had been searching for a benchmark on WPA2 with a GTX 1050TI with no success.. So if it can guide anyone, it seems my maximum rate is 100.8kH/s (WPA2). It's the original card in my Lenovo gaming laptop (sorry can't remember model maybe y520). The HUGE advantage is the laptop has a built-in "Extreme Cooling" mode meant for ?hardcore gaming? (I guess even tho it's a 1050TI?..), but it really does the job. Running a bruteforce on an uppercase hexadecimal password (keyspace [0-9A-F][len8]) is a little over 4.2 bil possibilities which amounts to arround 11 hours for full completion at this rate. The thing is without this "Extreme Cooling" on, it really didn't take long for the temp to reach 85C and have hashcat shutdown. Yet, while it was on I've had the bruteforce completed overnight without the temp even reaching over 65C (with the laptop properly placed ofc). BUT, I have only been trying to crack Hashs (WPA2 only) for a total of around 40 hours. I can't comment on the probable lifetime of this card nor anything related to any sort of rentability. And sadly, neither can I help you with any sort of suggestion for any card. Hope this can help someone and everything was readable, if you have a question or comment and I can answer or learn from it I certainly will. Thanks
note that mobile gpus are not the same as desktop gpus.