Partially known password + md5 hash + trouble cracking
hello all .. I am a newbie @ using tools but this is what i was trying to do.
I have a long password which is "eQuiNoXloves!!!!!!" without quotes and the exclamatory marks are the letters unknown (6 letters) now i was using john the ripper this way :
i wrote a C pgm which generates all possibilities and i pass this to JtR. This IS taking LOADS of time . i knw this is dumb too . Is der a way (better) i can do it using hashcat.
I am not able to write the rules for this . I used JtR to write rules but no luck its giving me errors.
Can you guys help me ?? Smile
I have already gone through many wiki's related this .. Sad bt i am not able to make it work Sad
with hashcat-cli get maskprocessor and run ./mp64.bin -1 ?l?u?d?s eQuiNoXloves?1?1?1?1?1?1 | hashcat-cli64.bin hash_file

or with plus ./oclhashcat-plus64.bin hash_file -a 3 -1 ?l?u?d?s eQuiNoXloves?1?1?1?1?1?1
hashcat cpu does not support reading words from stdin. Therefore this must either be saved into a textfile temporarily or be archived by a corresponding ruleset. (hashcat cpu does not support multiple rulesets either). For GPU processing the plain is simply to long.

A way to trick hashcat is to specify the known part as a salt (as long as there is a mode for you algorithm, e.g. md5(salt.pass) [like OSC]) and run a simple bruteforce using hashcat.
a third alternative is using a fifo, but this works on linux only.
(01-28-2012, 10:16 AM)atom Wrote: a third alternative is using a fifo, but this works on linux only.

hmm i am trying this on linux only. Can you tell me the procedure?

(01-27-2012, 03:49 PM)radix Wrote: with hashcat-cli get maskprocessor and run ./mp64.bin -1 ?l?u?d?s eQuiNoXloves?1?1?1?1?1?1 | hashcat-cli64.bin hash_file

or with plus ./oclhashcat-plus64.bin hash_file -a 3 -1 ?l?u?d?s eQuiNoXloves?1?1?1?1?1?1

Thanks a lot for the reply. I never expected the community to be soo active. Thanks again. Also can you tell me a place where i can read more on writing the rules. Is there any beginners guide??
Also If i can help you with documenting one where should i start from?
I am finding some trouble in understanding the man pages and wiki to get myself may be coz i am n00b Sad
any help in pointing me to the right direction is immnesely helpful.. Smile
I found https://ob-security.info/ very helpful.