Isn't there anyone who could have tested an RX 5700 XT with myROCm on linux
Brick 
Hi, everyone

This is my first post on the hashcat forum. I'm a big fan of password cracking and I'm currently considering buying a new graphics card. However, I would like to turn to AMD. Indeed, Nvidia drivers are proprietary and contain trackers, unlike AMD which has the audacity to make these drivers entirely open-source in addition to providing a specific ecosystem for parallel computing, ROCm.

I think you all know that ROCm has compatibility issues with AMD's new hardware. Not long ago I researched support for Navi GPUs... ROCm 3.0 is still under development, with no official support for the RX 5700. However, I came across an interesting github page: https://github.com/smartbitcoin/MyROCm.

He has developed a ROCm fork specifically for Navi GPUs. It's still experimental, so I would like to ask someone in the community to try to get myROCm to work with a RX 5700 XT on linux. This will help me a lot to make a choice, and I think it will encourage other people to make a decision.
If you are serious about hashcracking buy nvidia.
(12-24-2019, 04:06 PM)undeath Wrote: If you are serious about hashcracking buy nvidia.

i run a mostly-AMD rig consisting of a bunch of Radeon VIIs. In a 6u case made for mining i do not experience any throttling under load spaced at 4u apart, but they're definitely not as efficient as an equivalent nvidia solution. you pick AMD/ROCm because you want to work with the open solution, not because it's the easiest or best tool for the job. here is a benchmark i ran on that rig a couple of weeks ago: https://gist.github.com/rarecoil/5434028...5df2535c86

@OnePiece, ROCm 3.0 was released a couple of days ago and still doesn't have navi support - https://rocm.github.io/ROCmInstall.html. however, i do not understand why you need navi support to make the decision; if you are going to compromise you might as well buy Vega20 and get R7s while they're cheap, or wait for AMD's Arcturus-based compute card. the problem with forks like this smartbitcoin fork is that you will have even more problems: if you run into hashcat problems, developers will wontfix you because you are running an incompatible solution, the fork will trail ROCm updates and may not work on other distros, et cetera.

it's too much drama unless you are capable of hacking on that fork as well as hashcat, and since you are asking the community to get it to work, i assume that means that you do not yet have the development skills to maintain those changes yourself. i believe that you are more likely to end up with a solution that works temporarily, partially, or not at all, and you will end up having wasted a lot of money. because of this, i would echo it is best to stick to nvidia for cracking if you want reliability or work with the official ROCm, officially supported ROCm distros, and officially supported ROCm cards.
(12-24-2019, 10:16 PM)rarecoil Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 04:06 PM)undeath Wrote: If you are serious about hashcracking buy nvidia.

i run a mostly-AMD rig consisting of a bunch of Radeon VIIs. In a 6u case made for mining i do not experience any throttling under load spaced at 4u apart, but they're definitely not as efficient as an equivalent nvidia solution. you pick AMD/ROCm because you want to work with the open solution, not because it's the easiest or best tool for the job. here is a benchmark i ran on that rig a couple of weeks ago: https://gist.github.com/rarecoil/5434028...5df2535c86

@OnePiece, ROCm 3.0 was released a couple of days ago and still doesn't have navi support - https://rocm.github.io/ROCmInstall.html. however, i do not understand why you need navi support to make the decision; if you are going to compromise you might as well buy Vega20 and get R7s while they're cheap, or wait for AMD's Arcturus-based compute card. the problem with forks like this smartbitcoin fork is that you will have even more problems: if you run into hashcat problems, developers will wontfix you because you are running an incompatible solution, the fork will trail ROCm updates and may not work on other distros, et cetera.

it's too much drama unless you are capable of hacking on that fork as well as hashcat, and since you are asking the community to get it to work, i assume that means that you do not yet have the development skills to maintain those changes yourself. i believe that you are more likely to end up with a solution that works temporarily, partially, or not at all, and you will end up having wasted a lot of money. because of this, i would echo it is best to stick to nvidia for cracking if you want reliability or work with the official ROCm, officially supported ROCm distros, and officially supported ROCm cards.

You're probably right, it's for these compatibility concerns that I wanted to ask someone to try and let me know if hashcat will work with a Navi GPU for now. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to keep the smartbitcoin fork up to date. I'm just excited about this new architecture, and the performance it offers on Windows. I think I still have some time before I buy a new GPU. We'll see, as you say it's better to have official ROCm support, so there might be a chance that in a few months time Navi support will come out. But for now, and until further notice, I'm going to buy a Nvidia card. Thank you for your valuable advice. And... @undeath, next time express a more developed opinion ^^.
I don't really understand this at all... is this your repository ?
I don't see any code within this repository, what does it do ? just a manual ?
There is no source code in this repository but a compiled binary available for download. So much for open source lol.
(12-27-2019, 01:47 AM)OnePiece Wrote: You're probably right, it's for these compatibility concerns that I wanted to ask someone to try and let me know if hashcat will work with a Navi GPU for now.

unofficially, hashcat does work with the RX 5700 XT using the amdgpu-pro driver on Ubuntu 18.04.3. here's my powercolor reference card running a git build on a skylake-x workstation:

https://gist.github.com/rarecoil/1225705...88c004fae6

if you're just playing with hashcat and not relying on it for some professional use you can get by. that said navi still isn't as good as the NV cards and if you aren't being an anti-nvidia zealot, just go buy an RTX Super and save yourself all the headaches.
(12-27-2019, 01:00 PM)undeath Wrote: There is no source code in this repository but a compiled binary available for download. So much for open source lol.

Not just hypocritical, but most dangerous as that closed-source & anonymous installer/driver could do whatever it wants to the computer: install malware, steal bitcoins, etc.

(12-27-2019, 01:47 AM)OnePiece Wrote: You're probably right, it's for these compatibility concerns that I wanted to ask someone to try

Don't!