Mac GPU not working with Hashcat
I'm new to Hashcat and I'm having trouble getting it to work with my gpu.

I am running Hashcat (v6.2.5-370-g6adf5fcf2) on MacBook Air 2017 running Big Sur.

Whenever I use command "Hashcat -I” it says that it detects gpu on device #1 and #3 but whenever I use D, d or force commands in benchmark mode it says no devices found/left.

Do you know what might be causing this?
What is the exact command that you're trying to run?
Probably an issue with drivers, however running hashcat on a macbook air is a terrible idea. The laptop has the worst cooling you could imagine and you're going to be running the thing at full throttle cooking the internals. Don't be surprised if you damage the internals if you plan on running attacks for decent time frames.
(03-31-2022, 12:29 AM)mostwanted002 Wrote: What is the exact command that you're trying to run?

Attached Files
.png   Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 15.38.11 PM.png (Size: 120.72 KB / Downloads: 7)
.png   Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 15.53.37 PM.png (Size: 153.85 KB / Downloads: 6)
(03-31-2022, 02:27 AM)slyexe Wrote: Probably an issue with drivers, however running hashcat on a macbook air is a terrible idea. The laptop has the worst cooling you could imagine and you're going to be running the thing at full throttle cooking the internals. Don't be surprised if you damage the internals if you plan on running attacks for decent time frames.

My Macbook air has a 2.2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7.

I also have a M91p Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 4480 Intel Core i5-2400 Processor 4GB 500GB 7200RPM S-ATA HDD (2011)

and a Dell Inspiron 530 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM 256MB (shared) Intel GMA 3100 integrated graphics chip (2008)

Will either of these be better than my Mac? Can I combine parts from my 2 old computers to run Hashcat better than my Mac? Can I use my 2 old computers with my Mac in parallel to lighten the load?
Ah, looks more like an issue in regards to the installation of hashcat. How did you install it? Download the source and compile or just used the binaries? I recall an issue in regards to Macs in which you have to manually create a directory for hashcat to work. I will see if I can find it. Otherwise, what type of hashes are you interested in using hashcat for?
(03-31-2022, 11:09 PM)slyexe Wrote: Ah, looks more like an issue in regards to the installation of hashcat. How did you install it? Download the source and compile or just used the binaries? I recall an issue in regards to Macs in which you have to manually create a directory for hashcat to work. I will see if I can find it.  Otherwise, what type of hashes are you interested in using hashcat for?

I believe I installed it from source, should I uninstall and reinstall it? Do you think updating my Mac to the newest version will help?

I'm trying to crack wpa2 hashes, I get about 2,500 H/s with just my cpu. I get the same speed for both dictionary and brute force attacks, which takes over 10 hours even if the password is as simple as 12345678.
(04-01-2022, 12:08 AM)CheeseMachine Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 11:09 PM)slyexe Wrote: Ah, looks more like an issue in regards to the installation of hashcat. How did you install it? Download the source and compile or just used the binaries? I recall an issue in regards to Macs in which you have to manually create a directory for hashcat to work. I will see if I can find it.  Otherwise, what type of hashes are you interested in using hashcat for?

I believe I installed it from source, should I uninstall and reinstall it? Do you think updating my Mac to the newest version will help?

I'm trying to crack wpa2 hashes, I get about 2,500 H/s with just my cpu. I get the same speed for both dictionary and brute force attacks, which takes over 10 hours even if the password is as simple as 12345678.

You'd have much better luck buying an old video card for 25$ than using your CPU. Literally put it in your dell and have 10x results.

Just in case this might help me with the issue I'm having - did you find any info re compiling from source on a Mac?
(04-11-2022, 10:41 AM)machone Wrote:

Just in case this might help me with the issue I'm having - did you find any info re compiling from source on a Mac?

This is the link I think I used:
https://gist.github.com/chadmayfield/600...t_macos-sh