2nd GPU very slow
#1
Hello!

I am running oclHashcat 1.01 on Ubuntu 13.10_x64 with the latest Catalyst 13.12-driver. oclhashcat works, but the 2nd GPU ist far too slow.

1st GPU is a 5850 HD, 2nd a 7790 HD.
Code:
Session.Name...: oclHashcat Status.........: Running Input.Mode.....: Mask (?a?a?a?a?a?a?a) [7] Hash.Target....: *** Hash.Type......: NTLM Time.Started...: Thu Feb 27 21:01:06 2014 (12 mins, 40 secs) Time.Estimated.: Thu Feb 27 23:15:39 2014 (2 hours, 1 min) Speed.GPU.#1...: 7530.0 MH/s Speed.GPU.#2...: 1176.5 MH/s Speed.GPU.#*...: 8706.4 MH/s Recovered......: 0/1 (0.00%) Digests, 0/1 (0.00%) Salts Progress.......: 6588427501568/69833729609375 (9.43%) Rejected.......: 0/6588427501568 (0.00%) HWMon.GPU.#1...: 95% Util, 67c Temp, 56% Fan HWMon.GPU.#2...: 95% Util, 67c Temp, 56% Fan

The same hardware does the job well running Windows 7 Prof. x64, thereby the 2nd GPU nearly reaches the speed of the first one. I tried to crossfire both cards and to connect a monitor (via HDMI) to the card with GPU#2. Unfortunatelly no changes :-(

Any ideas?
#2
Hey,

did you try to run the same attack with the command line parameter -d 1 , afterwards -d 2 .

Furthermore you should try to run the benchmark oclHashcat64.bin -b -m 1000, also oclHashcat64.bin -b -m 1000 -d 1 and oclHashcat64.bin -b -m 1000 -d 2

New 1.02 version (not yet released https://twitter.com/hashcat/status/437598775687659521 ) may change this situation / fix this problem somehow, because several things changed since last release. Dunno.

But it could also be a hw / driver issue.

Btw, dunno if it helps or changes sth, but did you try to swap the 2 cards?


It would be also important that you post the device list (with mem, clocks etc) which you will always see (if --quiet was not used) at the beginning of the run.
#3
same here.. wasn't like that before v1
#4

Code:
andreas@Daedalus:~/Downloads/oclHashcat-1.01$ ./oclHashcat64.bin -b -m 1000 oclHashcat v1.01 starting in benchmark-mode... Device #1: Cypress, 512MB, 760Mhz, 18MCU Device #2: Bonaire, 922MB, 1050Mhz, 14MCU Hashtype: NTLM Workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel Speed.GPU.#1.: 8047.2 MH/s Speed.GPU.#2.: 4697.9 MH/s Speed.GPU.#*.: 12745.0 MH/s andreas@Daedalus:~/Downloads/oclHashcat-1.01$ ./oclHashcat64.bin -b -m 1000 -d 1 oclHashcat v1.01 starting in benchmark-mode... Device #1: Cypress, 512MB, 760Mhz, 18MCU Device #2: skipped by user Hashtype: NTLM Workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel Speed.GPU.#1.: 8050.4 MH/s andreas@Daedalus:~/Downloads/oclHashcat-1.01$ ./oclHashcat64.bin -b -m 1000 -d 2 oclHashcat v1.01 starting in benchmark-mode... Device #1: skipped by user Device #2: Bonaire, 922MB, 1050Mhz, 14MCU Hashtype: NTLM Workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel Speed.GPU.#1.: 4697.9 MH/s

Swapping the cards is the last try I think of, because it's a headless server running in a basement room of my house ;-). And what I also noticed is that GPU1 runs at peak core clock, while GPU2 does by far not. And amdconfig always shows a usage of 0%:

Code:
andreas@Daedalus:~$ !141 amdconfig --odgc --adapter=all Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series Core (MHz) Memory (MHz) Current Clocks : 760 1050 Current Peak : 760 1050 Configurable Peak Range : [550-875] [900-1225] GPU load : 95% Adapter 1 - AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series Core (MHz) Memory (MHz) Current Clocks : 527 1500 Current Peak : 1050 1500 Configurable Peak Range : [300-1200] [150-1600] GPU load : 0%
#5
O.k., I did further investigations. The problem is NOT that it´s the 2nd card, but obviously the card itself. I put the 7790 in another computer, made a clean new setup of both, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.10 with the actual drivers.

Same result, card gives only about 1700 MH/s on Linux, but 6000 on Windows.
#6
I may be wrong but I think Bonaire is an OD6 card? Perhaps it has the weird Powertune that throttles in favor of low noise just like R9 290X. Upcoming oHC v1.02 might behave a lot better but until then I suggest you try https://github.com/epixoip/od6config and see if it helps.
#7
(03-02-2014, 10:58 PM)magnum Wrote: I may be wrong but I think Bonaire is an OD6 card? Perhaps it has the weird Powertune that throttles in favor of low noise just like R9 290X. Upcoming oHC v1.02 might behave a lot better but until then I suggest you try https://github.com/epixoip/od6config and see if it helps.

od6config --autofix increases the core and memory clock to their max (and the fan speed also Smile). This increases cracking speed from 1700 to 2300 MH/s, which is a linear increase according to the core clock. But it´s still much slower than running under Win7 (about 7000 MH/s)...
#8
maybe the windows driver is magic
#9
found the problem and solution. I have to make crossfire Smile and that made 2nd gpu slow. released crossfire cable and both came the same speed Smile
#10
(03-05-2014, 06:58 PM)tbm Wrote: found the problem and solution. I have to make crossfire Smile and that made 2nd gpu slow. released crossfire cable and both came the same speed Smile

Not in my case Sad. No matter if I use crossfire cable or not, or even if i use the 7790 as the only graphics card, I get poor results under Linux but respectable ones under Win7.