Most popular charsets/rules
I'm new to OCLHashcat but decided to start looking into it after my new ATI 5870. Smile

I'm wondering what are the most popular/comprehensive rules or charsets to use with OCLHC? For example, let's say I have a NTLM hash which I know nothing about...what are some of the best command line options/arguments that people have had the best results with.

It seems like we often test OCLHC on hashes that we already know something about...so I'm just looking for more comprehensive attack rules from you people who have been doing this a lot longer than me (without having to actually bruteforce). Any ideas?
well it depends on how much time you want to invest. if we are talking about < 2 days the most efficient attack on gpu is to expand a small or medium sized dictionary like opencrack_plains.txt with the expander from hashcat-utils and then use it on both sides (combination mode) with oclHashcat.
(12-31-2010, 11:32 AM)atom Wrote: well it depends on how much time you want to invest. if we are talking about < 2 days the most efficient attack on gpu is to expand a small or medium sized dictionary like opencrack_plains.txt with the expander from hashcat-utils and then use it on both sides (combination mode) with oclHashcat.

Thanks Atom. I'll give that a shot. I've been using the huge rockyou.txt file...but I'm just not cracking as many passwords using it. That's why I was wondering the most popular rules to use.

What if you have one hash you need to crack? Do you try all the other methods first or do you just go straight to brute forcing?