Linux Mint AMD freezes
#1
Hello!
I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon with an AMD Radeon HD 6950, driver version 14.6 beta 1, using oclHashcat64 version 1.37 and I'm trying to decrypt some phpass hashes but my computer freezes when doing it and I need to reset it to get it back working.

No input from keyboard or mouse works, but what's odd is that I can SSH to the computer when it's frozen. Although nothing seems to get it up and running again except for the resetting it physically. I'm fairly new to Linux/hashes so please let me know what kind of information I should provide or to try.

These are the different parameters I've tried:
Code:
oclHashcat64.bin  ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 -a 0 -w 3 --username --gpu-temp-disable -r rules/InsidePro-PasswordsPro.rule ifkhashes /usr/share/wordlists/ifkultimate2.txt     Freezes after a minute or so on clean install  ./oclHashcat32.bin -m 400 -a 0 -w 3 --username --gpu-temp-disable -r rules/InsidePro-PasswordsPro.rule ifkhashes /usr/share/wordlists/ifkultimate2.txt     Freezes instantly  ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 -a 0 -w 3 --username --gpu-temp-disable ifkhashes /usr/share/wordlists/ifkultimate2.txt -o ifkcracked     took 2 seconds, no freeze.  ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 -a 0 -w 3 --username --gpu-temp-disable ifkhashes /media/unknownpwn/Backups/wordlists/Super-WPA -o ifkcracked     Froze after caching the wordlist  ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 -a 0 -w 2 --username --restore-disable --gpu-temp-disable ifkhashes /media/unknownpwn/Backups/wordlists/Super-WPA -o ifkcracked     Froze after caching the wordlist  cat /usr/share/wordlists/ifkultimate2.txt |  ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 ifkhashes --restore-disable --username     Took 2 seconds, no freeze.  cat /usr/share/wordlists/ifkultimate2.txt |  ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 ifkhashes --restore-disable --username -r rules/InsidePro-PasswordsPro.rule     Freezes instantly cat ifkultimate2.txt | ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 phpasshashes --force -r rules/best64.rule     Removed drivers and installed beta drivers instead, downloaded oclHashcat again and tried with clean working directory. Took 2 seconds, no freeze cat ifkultimate2.txt | ./oclHashcat64.bin -m 400 phpasshashes --force -r rules/InsidePro-PasswordsPro.rule     Froze instantly

I've tried several versions of the graphic card driver, currently running the latest beta drivers from AMD ( linux-amd-catalyst-14.6-beta-v1.0-jul11 )
glxinfo
Code:
glxinfo name of display: :0 display: :0  screen: 0 direct rendering: Yes server glx vendor string: ATI server glx version string: 1.4


uname -a
Code:
Linux unknown 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

fglrxinfo
Code:
display: :0  screen: 0 OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series OpenGL version string: 4.4.12967 Compatibility Profile Context 14.20

lshw -C display
Code:
 *-display                     description: VGA compatible controller       product: Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]       physical id: 0       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0       version: 00       width: 64 bits       clock: 33MHz       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom       configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0       resources: irq:52 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f7e20000-f7e3ffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7e00000-f7e1ffff

lspci  -v -s  $(lspci | grep VGA | cut -d" " -f 1)
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device 3120 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 52 Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at f7e20000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K] I/O ports at e000 [size=256] Expansion ROM at f7e00000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci


I've found no logs in /var/log/ that can point me in the right direction.

If anyone can assist me I'd be grateful.
Thank you


Messages In This Thread
Linux Mint AMD freezes - by unknownpwn - 09-02-2015, 09:17 PM
RE: Linux Mint AMD freezes - by FlippingGerman - 09-02-2015, 11:31 PM
RE: Linux Mint AMD freezes - by unknownpwn - 09-03-2015, 05:51 PM
RE: Linux Mint AMD freezes - by epixoip - 09-03-2015, 12:30 AM
RE: Linux Mint AMD freezes - by unknownpwn - 09-03-2015, 07:35 PM
RE: Linux Mint AMD freezes - by zkeng - 09-04-2015, 10:56 PM